Challenge #874 "Lucid Dreaming" (20/03/20) Entries CLOSED

Reality Check
Pure. Cycles.

I am a lucid dreamer, so I couldn’t resist to do something for this theme.
We use a tool called reality check to induce lucid dreaming. There are lots of various reality checks, but my favorite one is to check my hands. If they don’t have the correct shape or number of fingers, then I know I’m dreaming. This picture shows 2 versions of my hands as I saw them in various lucid dreams.

Anyone can learn to do lucid dream, and It’s an experience you don’t want to miss! There are lots of resources on the web. If you are interested, I suggest ld4all. Their newbie guide is very good, and their community is helpful.

8 Likes

Headspace” - Pure

Everything done in Blender, rendered with Cycles.

13 Likes

blenderhead!

2 Likes

The Nightmare of my Nightmares

Non-competing (Pure).

One fun thing about realizing that you’re dreaming is that you can prevent a nightmare from disturbing your sleep. How are you gonna catch me now, slimeface? :smiley:

1 Like

Nice idea I didn’t think about the checking your hands for picture Idea. I’ve been practicing Lucid dream now for 5 years.I thought it be a good theme.

2 Likes

Here is my non-competing entry:

DREAMWAKER

Pure Blender 2.82, Workbench render + compositor.

RobertT

11 Likes

lol Thats funny Nothing like a good old punk song about us lol

As always very beautiful image :smiley:
Can I aks how do You achieve such drawing-like abstract results in 3D space? Maby a cheeky viewport screen? :smirk:

Dream Flight
Open entry

The background uses a public domain image of the Milky Way and I re-used some background buildings from a previous weekend challenge. Everything else is new.

glowTexture2
The glowing bubble material uses a rainbow texture mapped to the surface normal. I made a texture based on the default color grid that was meant to be a placeholder, but it worked so well I used it in the final render.

4 Likes

I Say Um

Again, should have allotted more time, but GF off and watching Westworld, as Thandie Newtons character says, “If I have a bad dream, I close my eyes, count to three… and wake up!”

Been struggling with dodgy mottling on the wall and ceiling textures most of evening, finally took the Musgrave off, but still there grrrrr, probably my lights… more brushing up on skills needed…

1 Like

Hi, rradarr :slight_smile:

Here’s a look at the scene…

In this project I’m using the Workbench render with matcap, shadows, cavity, and outline.

RobertT

4 Likes

Hello everyone! :smiley:
“Lucid Thought”

Pure, Cycles

I see so many entries this week again! The “physical distancing” is doing us all a favor :smiley:

This one is a bit open in terms of the idea for the image. I had the image of a cloud with a triangle to space in sunset colors pop into my head last week when listening to some music (no, I don’t do any drugs), so this theme being so open allowed me to use the WC as motivation to make the render happen. Just to clarify, I started working on it after I read the theme. It took many unexpected turns: the canyon, the sky colors, the lighting and most importantly the overall freedom I gave myself with this one made it a very fun experience. I will try to use colors more freely from now on, since I usually subconsciously confine myself to dark, grey colours and badly lit scenes (or “photorealism”). A lesson is being learnt here :smiley:

Well, sorry for the ramble.
I hope you like the image and have a good week everybody! :smiley:

4 Likes

Your ability to achieve such high artistic freedom in 3D software is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing :smiley:

1 Like

This is my first challenge… i would like to upload my entry to the finished projects thread so that it will be in my Portfolio, is that ok?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Of course it is! Just go ahead. And welcome to the challenge! :slight_smile:

And a hell of an entry… top three easy. Nice job.

Thank you very much!

Im at work (no blender) and the following question came to mind. Could you use this technique to create the 12 “post rails” like i have around the edge of my totem render ?
I used an array and then dupped that, theres probly a better way.