Challenge #902 "Bad Day" (02/10/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #902 for Friday 2nd of October 2020 is:

Bad Day

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Oct 5, 2020 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Monochrome Artist’s Existential Crises

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Snorfle! :rofl:

Not calling dibs, just letting you guys know I’m attempting a close-up of Suzanne’s eye with a forest fire reflected in it.

2 Likes

Let me do the kick-off. Made something pretty simple. Needs some more work on the textures, so lets call it a WIP for now.

Clay/AO

3 Likes

Sad Robo - Open Entry for ‘‘Sad day’’

Robot blanket and screen are made in blender. For the eyes I used a photo of a camera lens. Background and color editing were done in photoshop.

4 Likes

Here Comes the Rain Again

Pure entry 1000 samples, with denoising.

2 Likes

Looking Through the Glass, Pure Cycles 1000 samples

I just love wrecking the compositing non entry alternative

2 Likes

Title: The evening before

Pure

The thought proccess. Can I think of worse days? Yes, 9/11, Hiroshima a childs coffiin, a bat cage above a Pangolin cage in a wetmarket; but these are “tragic”, “horrific” days. A bad day is eg: an insummountable pile of paperwork at the beggining of the day. So, my citera where, maximum disappointment for the largest number without any fatalities. No presents at Christmas worked for me. Keeping it topical was just a bonus :smiley:

12 Likes

“Holy sh…!” (Pure Cycle)

8 Likes

tis but a flesh wound

1 Like

How are you getting that effect? If you don’t mind me asking.

1 Like

Not at all. Here is the composite node set up
The sharpen and prewitt do the lifting here though

1 Like

Go for… or turn around once more

pure entry

3 Likes

Title: King Solomon’s Ring

From a story about a magical ring that could make a bad day better, or a good day bad.

Pure.

2 Likes

“Good Morning, Sunshine. I am MONDAY!!1!”

non competing (pure), cycles (50 samples + OpenImageDenoise), Blender 2.90.1

4 Likes

Title: Bad Day
Open, I used a free Wood, Smoke and Dust Texture

6 Likes

But There’s No Such Thing as Climate Change

Pure entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2.90.1. Central composition, 1x1 aspect ratio. Used Sapling Tree Gen, one of Blender’s included Addons. I wanted volumetric fire on the trees, but couldn’t get it to work. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: pretty sure I’ve never used a hemispherical emission object with a procedural fire material, and getting a gradient fadeout where I wanted it was enough of a pain that I’m positive I’ve never done that.

I spent days trying to get volumetric fire on the trees to work (and to look like what I was going for, the California wildfires, although honestly I didn’t get that far) before settling for procedural emission materials.

NoSuchThingCC023.blend

4 Likes

“In The Rain”
Pure, rendered in Cycles.

3 Likes

Appreciate it! Especially putting “prewitt” in your post text – it wasn’t quite legible in the image, took a bit of googling to find it was an type option of the Filter Node. Thanks!

NOT an entry!

1 Like