Challenge #903 Voting CLOSED

This week’s theme:

Flight

Please note:
Due to an issue with the voting plugin, the check marks are currently missing.
However, you can still vote. Just click on the check boxes, imagine that some wonderful check marks showed up and submit by clicking ‘Vote now!’. :slight_smile:

Which entry would you like to see win?
(If you cannot decide, pick up to 3.)
  • KickAir_8P
  • Karmon
  • kaidoe
  • RayVelcoro
  • Steah
  • Watndit
  • david.speer
  • SidewaysUpJoe
  • Vampy_monkey
  • Xeofrios
  • fcharr
  • Tohron
  • Millani
0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Oct 14, 2020 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20201019-wc

Pure Entries

KickAir_8P: SuzannaFly

Karmon: Ready to the last flight…

kaidoe: Balloon flight

RayVelcoro: Rocket

Steah: Bat with shiny exoskeleton.

Watndit: UFO flight

david.speer: Queen of the Skies, A Tribute To Amelia

SidewaysUpJoe: It’s crossed your mind…

Vampy_monkey: New life takes flight

Xeofrios: Flight Fighter

fcharr: On Wings of an Angel

Tohron: Wings of Morning

Millani: The White Crow

Non-competing Entries

Helge: Captain Dandelion

2Rock: Frigate Flight

purbosky: Launch

nice entries everyone! having said that, what is the deal with the non functioning check boxes?

Ran across that myself in another part of the site, but kept forgetting to mention it to the @admins (@bartv )
It happens (to me) when i toggle back and forth between “Show vote” and “Vote now” the check boxs go all haywire and then i have to reload the page to straiten them out. Happens both in Firefox and Chrome.

It happened to me persistently: closed and reopened edge, then opened in chrome, same problem.

It seamed to be an issue after the last site update, maybe barttv can shed some light or pass the issue to the next person ?

1 Like

Yes there’s an issue with the voting plugin. It has been solved, but due limited support for one of our core plugins we can only upgrade the software during the first 5 business days of the month.

1 Like

Obviously, it is called Challenge for a reason… One does not simply vote for a winner!
(Just to be safe, I added a little hint to the voting.)

1 Like

I am a decent web developer with a solid background in computers. I spent 10 years or so of my life developing in assembly and C++, while I earned my physics and computer science degrees. I also have job experience, and, 20 years of web dev along with certifications, so not just a hobby guy. I can say with a good amount of certainty that the web development world has gone mad. For one, I can’t get any work, yes, me, of all people. Then I see how convoluted most solutions out there are: Seems like fear of losing one’s job and relevance motivates developers to avoid simplicity. As a result, I see websites fail in the most basic of ways. And yes, this is my rant.

For me at least, running Chromium Edge on Windows 10, I can click the checkboxes, and have voted successfully, but the checks don’t actually appear in the boxes when I click them.

yes, that’s what I mean.

If you ask me, over the past decades it has never been sane (browser wars, java applets, flash plugins, … you name it). But it is becoming increasingly crazy, indeed. Do you remember the time when a line of javascript was just a line of javascript? You could actually write the final code without unleashing an enormous toolchain on it first. :slight_smile:
Well, I see how this happened and there are a few good reasons for it. But lately, we are loading every tiny task with an uncontrollable amount of complexity. Unfortunately this is not limited to web development. With all the overly complex systems around us, I actually wonder why the world still hasn’t collapsed.

Sorry to hear that. Are you currently in Canada? I was under the impression that there was quite some demand for developers over there.

I guess you are right. I’m no big fan of all that social media stuff but I recently did join twitter. I was (still am) actually surprised to see how bad it all works. And don’t get me started on thingiverse. Honestly: don’t! It is just so sad…

But hey, we still have Blender. And I just created a friendly little question mark with it. Things might actually be a little brighter as they seem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in Montreal Quebec where there is a certain protectionism. Most tech jobs are reserved for the pure wools.

It took me some research to figure out that term. I wasn’t aware that this was a thing in Quebec. Let’s just hope this goes away quickly…
Not sure how this works in Canada but maybe you could get around that protectionism problem by starting some kind of one man business and turn Montreal upside down. Easier said than done - but who knows? :slight_smile:

1 Like

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 903 with votes from 50% of the voters is… Vampy_monkey!
Here’s to all the great participators…

New life takes flight

1 Like

Thank you to everyone that voted for my dragon fly and participated you all are so inspiring! I really thought Millani was going to win that’s who I voted for. I look forward to seeing what everyone does with the theme I suggested :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulations monkey! Thanks for the early new topic :slight_smile: Feels like a birthday present :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats Vampy_monkey, and thanks to both of you who voted for mine!

This week my votes went to RayVelcoro’s Rocket (shiny! Nice heat effects too), kaidoe’s Balloon flight (like the style and the balloon’s detail), and david.speer’s Queen of the Skies, A Tribute To Amelia (awww!). Also enjoyed purbosky’s Launch (beautiful composition), 2Rock’s Frigate Flight (love the subtle colors on the water), Helge’s Captain Dandelion (that looks kinda familiar . . . seriously though, cute take on the theme), Millani’s The White Crow (fine feathers), Tohron’s Wings of Morning (nicely varied volumetrics), Vampy_monkey’s New life takes flight (beautifully detailed), SidewaysUpJoe’s It’s crossed your mind… (yep!), Watndit’s UFO flight (nice designs), Steah’s Bat with shiny exoskeleton (great wings!), Karmon’s Ready to the last flight… (nice use of grayscale), and fcharr’s On Wings of an Angel & Xeofrios’s Flight Fighter, giving me this week’s dose of 4-day human figure envy.

4 Likes