Challenge #915 "lovecraftian horror" (01/01/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #915 for Friday 1st of January 2021 is:

lovecraftian horror

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 4, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Shake Hands

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the perfect topic for Cthulhu!

1 Like

2021 will be the year for Cthulhu! :merman:

1 Like

@Helge This may sound weird, but how did you make the tentacles? It seems too random to be a hair system or hand-duplicated curves, and sculpting would take too much time. My last bet would be some hackery with the sapling add-on. Or maybe Python, if you have code for working with curves at hand…

I’m puzzled. :thinking:
(Cool Lovecraftian vibes, though :slight_smile: )

Don’t be. Actually, this is just a low resolution UV Sphere. I extruded (and rotated) all the faces (at once) about three times and left the rest of the work to two Subsurf and one Displacement modifiers.

Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

1 Like

i would create a bezier curve and make all bent like a tentacle. Then apply the depth to give it physical properties and then convert it to mesh. then at the end of one end of the bezier curve alt select the edges around it and enable propotional edition to a decent size. Then scale the end down to get a single tentacle. Do the same prosess a couple of times say 2-4 times and then add a particle system to the object you want to make the tentacles come from setting the render to collection and bam tentacles!

tentacles.mp40001-0045.mkv (391.2 KB)

2 Likes

I like to make tentacles by taking a uv or ico sphere, subdividing it, and using the snake hook sculpt tool to extend it out. Then you can add as much detail as you want through sculpting and all the tentacles can look really unique.

1 Like

The Walls Have Eyes

Pure entry.
All textures procedural.

P.S
I used a panoramic camera in order to make the field of view distorted. First time using panoramic camera!!

13 Likes

@Helge Nice, I hadn’t thought about using a sphere! Although looking at the screenshot this seems to work only from one angle. Which, of course, is a perfectly acceptable limitation for these challenges.

@object Yeah, but because of the particle system you still get equal-looking tentacles.
Also, you can change the radius of individual segments of a curve, no need to convert it to a mesh. :slight_smile:

@tylerkjkjkj Yes, if you want nice looking tentacles, sculpting is the way to go. But I don’t think Helge spent more than 30 minutes on the example entry.

Finding a good angle did certainly help. However, it could be worse.

You are right about that. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Cosmic Waves

Pure Entry, 1000 samples. Not sure where to go from here, will be working on it whimsically…

2 Likes

The Great Escape
Pure
Non-Competing

10 Likes

here my try for this contest
1500 sample. pure cycle

6 Likes

Nightmare in town
Pure, eevee, all made in blender. The monster is sculpted and ended with 200.039 faces, after unwrapping i tried to texture paint it, but my pc needs just seconds for a stroke :cry. So all made with vertex paint (was slow too but works) with color, light and rough map. And why is there still the bug if you try a stroke with new settings and undo, the settings are gone :crazy_face:

Added a flashlight

3 Likes

Scream

Open - The background was made with JWildfire. Everything else was done with Blender.

3 Likes

So, my moster is built and rigged now all I need is the rest of the scean!

2 Likes

Title: Acending

Pure
Amended. More detail added to the ship and smoke. Tilted the fog texture to reveal more of the ship. Adjusted sky for more mood. Moved his left arm for a better pose.

1 Like

Looking good everyone :wink:
Hoping I’ll be back in about a month I’m really far behind on blender whats new.

2 Likes

“Cthulhu’s Nightmare”

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + denoising), Blender 2.92.0 Alpha

11 Likes

Suthulhu

Pure entry, Cycles render, 32 samples & compositor denoising in 2.91.0. Composition is central / Golden Sections / Phi Grid, 5x8 aspect ratio, 85mm camera. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: modeled, uv-unwrapped, and rigged a tentacle (with the help of this and this tutorial).

9 Likes