Challenge #970 "Under the Sea" (21/01/22) Entries CLOSED

PURE “ship wreck” Cycles 256s Actually it is based on front of Titanic.

And it look like this without rust:

9 Likes

Open Concept art : “Under water dream”
Fishes, woman, sharks & temple assets were used and post process with affinity photo.

9 Likes

Hi, I’ve just posted a finished project and a friendly user pointed me out to this challenge… May I use my finished project post for this challenge? If so, should I link here the post or upload the image again?

Thank you

2 Likes

Here is my entry for “Under the Sea”, it’s Yellow Submarine. It is Pure, all done in Blender.
500 samples + denoise.

Hope every one likes it.

2 Likes

Hi! Sure, if the image was created within the challenge’s timeframe, feel free to post it here too. Please choose the category (pure, open, non competing) which fits your entry best. It would be great If you re-upload the image to this thread as this will make it easier for me to include it into the voting tomorrow evening.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’ve been working on my image during last 5 days, so I think it’s out from the timeframe… no problem, maybe next time, thank you for your reply!

Looks fantastic! :hushed: :grinning:

But sounds like almost the whole scene was built with external assets and post processing? Or what was done in the timeframe and explicit for the challenge? Just to know this and have in mind when voting.

On my Laptop its really dark yes. Want to see a screenshot?

Sure, that might be helpful

White Box left to compare. Or see Helges pic.

On the matter of screens and dark images: Checking out some test images could help to tweak display or gfx card settings. These look really handy to me: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

1 Like

Ha! I was in the same situation a few years ago (#646 " Bad Idea", actually). In this case it is hard to decide. If the image is too bright, the hidden danger is too obvious. If it is too dark, people might not get the image’s intention. In the end, I decided to brighten it up quite a bit.

3 Likes

Hello &Thanks, yeah you’re right i only modeled the temple and the woman to get the wanted pose, for the other assets such as fishes and plant, i used premade asset as i only wanted to get the silhouettes on the render.

Hm, well I can’t tell any difference between the first two squares, but nothing I do to my settings changes that… but the fact that you saw the anglerfish is good

“X Marks the Spot”

Non Competing.
Might have time to work more on it but , no promises, I’m feeling underwater right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is hard to see. What if you tried adding a dark purple rim light behind the shark/sea creature to make it stand out a little better from the background?

I’ve thought of that, I’ll try it and see how it works

Undersea Apartment

Open - I decided to use this week’s challenge as an opportunity to learn how to use the Asset Browser, so downloaded LOTS of models from polyhaven.com! :slight_smile:

The ocean, fish, kelp, and the room were all modelled by me and procedurally shaded.

10 Likes

UUMF 2.0 - Undersea Unobtanium Mining Factory

Pure / Cycles - all the modelling, lighting, materials, texturing and so on was done from scratch for the challenge. One of the goals was not to use any pre-made assets.

I took this picture as inspiration https://cutt.ly/4I2uzvi and the result should look like a mixture of the Bioshock-Games and Jules Verne. Zoom in for some details :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Angler

Pure, hopefully it shows up well

6 Likes