Challenge #976 "Family" (04/03/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #976 for Friday 4th of March 2022 is:

Family

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 7, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: The Bunch
demo
pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Non-Competing

Family reunions when your mom has like 10 siblings who all have kids and grandkids

14 Likes

That’s a cool one. Did you use a color ramp and random object info nodes to set the colors?

1 Like

It’s object info random plugged into a hue/saturation/value node that modifies an image texture

3 Likes

Need ideas for the topic :grin:

I noticed that the Challenge Rules specify that uploaded images must be no larger than 250kb; is that an actual rule?

Just ignore that one. This rule is a little outdated and made a lot more sense when we still used to chisel bits into blocks of stone, by hand. :wink:

I guess this week’s real challenge is to find a way to match the theme without modelling a bunch of human characters. :wink:

A depiction of how a lowly farmer might stand up to a technologically-superior, invading military force to defend his/her family?

I had just the idea of a nest of eggs in an helmet. So no characters involved :smiley:
But i go for another idea, you can just take that :slight_smile:

1 Like

‘Family Photo’

Pure
I’m terrible at sculpting, but it turns out, if you delete all the limbs and embrace the derp, it’s not so bad.

11 Likes

“Our Last Great Adventure”

Open Entry

7 Likes

Haha :egg: :egg: :egg: Just yesterday afternoon I found a really strange picture with a google search that serves as “inspiration” for me :crazy_face:

But a big thank you for offering your idea - I definitely “owe” you an idea now :grin: :+1:

Nice pic!

To what extent “open”? Which parts of the image are external, reused and which/how many parts are newly made for the challenge?

For me, this is always important to know when voting.

Title: “FAMILY DOUBTS…”
Open entry, blender 3.1 with assets from botaniq and photoshop background compositing.

15 Likes

The mix of real and style elements are great, so funny looking. :slight_smile:

1 Like

"Mendelian Inheritance"

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + compositor), Blender 3.0.1

7 Likes

Lazy Afternoon

Open entry, took Astrology :: Virgo and the Twins at the Lake (franciscocharrua.com), and added the bad guy from In the Shadows :: Underneath a Gas Lamp (franciscocharrua.com) as the dad. He has a huge acting range :wink:

5 Likes

After crashing my machine multiple times…
“Not of this family” Pure except for the pictures in the back are from the Library of Congress’s public domain collection.

11 Likes

Brothers
Pure, cycles, optix denoiser, all made in blender (the animation with captions is made in gimp), i am happy with the style, lightning and colors.
The animation not so, it is a mess, but i have a far better insight of animations now.
Used the low poly character tutorial from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8sl6LJ7p4

entry:

animation and .blendfile:

the_corner
smalltowndealers11.blend (381.4 KB)

7 Likes

Family Dinner

At first he doubted whether he should accept the Spoon family’s dinner invitation, but then he thought, “What could go wrong?”…

Pure

The Background/HDRI ist from polyhaven. Some Textures edited/made in an external editor.

I ordered the goggly eyes on Amazon and then stuck them in the right place on my monitor - to save time and work. But my wife then noticed that the goggly eyes are not visible on her monitor. That’s why I had to choose the hard way and also model the eyes.

12 Likes