Challenge #981 "A whole new world to explore" (08/04/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #981 for Friday 8th of April 2022 is:

A whole new world to explore

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Apr 11, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: The Green

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@2Rock Did you watch Aladdin recently? Great movie, and great weekend contest topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not recently, but I did like it. I hope you enjoy exploring wherever this takes you.

First thought for me is something like this:

4 Likes

Delayed until 2023. What a pity…

Caspar David Friedrich

Well, I guess we still have the classics. :wink:

5 Likes

Six years they’ve been working on the sequel- which, fun fact, is about as long as they worked on the original, depending on how you count “working on” (The BOTW we got is very different from the BOTW we were originally going to have)

I’d never noticed the similarity to that classic painting, thanks for pointing that out!

2 Likes

Good is probably better than fast. :wink:
However, we were planning to play it with the kids on New Year’s Eve, which was a lot of fun with the original BOTW. Well, it will have to wait.

Oh, that specific one gets copied / ‘homaged’ all the time. This would probably be worth an entire exhibition. :wink:

2 Likes

The New Planet

Pure entry blender 3 cycles. I used geometry nodes just for the fact that I could use textures to create displacement. I wish there was a way of sharing textures between geometry nodes and shader nodes. I understand why it’s not possible though.

4 Likes

Thinking about this title, I came up with four themes/ideas. Looks like one and a half are already up here. I’ll tell you all four after the entry window closes, so I don’t mess with the directions people take with the Challenge.

The Desert planet

Open. I have used procedural textures for the planet with some textures from texture heaven.

9 Likes

The Whole New World (Which We’ve All Explored)…

Pure.
Here is an alternative render, with more blur. I can’t decide which looks better!!!

Any pre vote votes would be appreciated :smiley:
P.S. I wanted to make a female doctor, but I’m no good at modelling women!

14 Likes

Non competing as it’s one of my latest projects but I think it fits the topic :slight_smile:

15 Likes

“The Cubic World”

Pure. Rendered in 3.1 in Cycles with 100 samples and denoising.

6 Likes

Flea Parachutists’ Conquest of a New World

Pure, Cycles, 40 samples
Since the parachute harness of the flea sitting on the dog looks like German beer festival lederhosen, I put a freshly tapped beer in the flea’s hand. This way the little dude can celebrate his arrival in the new world.

12 Likes

So cute - I like the little teeth in the open mouths. And of course everything that has a German beer in the render is perfect anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea :slight_smile: I like the less blurry one better.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face: The dog got a severe flea problem now :wink:
The beer mug was a late decision, and I modeled it last. The first time I tried to put it in its place, Blender crashed and I had to model it again. Thus, hopefully, the little chap appreciates the refreshment :beer: :smiley:

This theme makes me want to create an update of the Splododyne Teleportal (here). No time for CG right now.

Open, as I used a tree model I bought ages ago. Did the colouring in GIMP. Everything else modelled new or drawn using grease pencil.

12 Likes