Challenge #981 "A whole new world to explore" (08/04/22) Entries CLOSED

Great idea! Thanks. But I won’t have time to make any changes now.

Subatomic Default Cube

A exploring journey into the subatomic structures of the Default Cubes inner World

Pure (It’s just 2 cubes plus GeoNodes). / Blender 3.1.2

6 Likes

Looks great. How did you get the lens flare (if that’s what the blurry dots in the foreground are)?

1 Like

Open - Cycles. I used a 2 textures from textures.com, as well as 1 hdri from hdri haven. I made it really quickly since I have to work. As such, I have absolutely no idea what it is, except that its some ritual thingamajig… enjoy I guess. or not. Have a great day.

4 Likes

Nice Ice :grin: :+1:

Girls Last Tour
Open, cycles 16 samples, optix denoised, freestyle, rendertime <1min., all made in blender except the little texture from the anime “Girls Last Tour”. I made it in the black / white manga book style.
Did not find time to model the Kettenkrad and the characters. Also wanted some more pipes, hanging cables and broken things. And pencil draw textures are missing too. :neutral_face:

I highly recommend watching this anime, at first glance it looks very childish but it is funny and sad and has serious messages. Also nice art. It is available on amazon. Unfortunately the last two books are not turned into an anime yet.

9 Likes

In case anyone is interested, the blend file:

subatomic-geonodes1.blend (944.5 KB)

The ghost effect doesn’t just come from the alpha channel, but from the “Distance” value of the Voronoi texture node that was plugged into the alpha channel. Of these, the transparent then becomes so cloudy/foggy. No idea why :crazy_face:

If you leave out the transparency effect, it’s actually a pretty cool Borgcube :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That looks fantastic … would make a great desktop wallpaper, too :sunglasses:

American Romanticism

Open. Created in Blender. The fallen tree, stump, and terrain meshes were created for this project. All other nature assets were recycled from previous projects. Textured with images.

I lifted the composition idea from an oil painting by Asher B. Durand titled Study from Nature, Stratton Notch, Vermont, 1853. Two centuries ago, the eastern United States was the “new world” to explore. I like this one in particular because the dead tree branch frames the wilderness from the perspective of the explorer. In retrospect, it could be interpreted to say that “new” worlds are always framed by the shadows of the world that brought the explorer to them.

6 Likes

“Microcosmos”
pure

A fascinating world to explore.

The background image is a privat photo shot by myself. A challenging part was to get the translucency right. In the end I cheated and used a fake-fresnel as mask for the translucency at the spores and the mushroom stems .

Many inspirations came from this photo (not mine): galerie_fotowettbewerb__makros_-ganz_nah_ran-pilze-im-moos

17 Likes

Also meant to include these showing how the shot was set up in blender with the volumetric fog.

1 Like

Romanticism

Open. Created in Blender. Fallen tree, stump, and terrain meshes are new. All other nature assets are recycled from previous projects.

Re-posting after my original was flagged, I believe due to image size and format. Hopefully this should be correct for the parameters of the contest.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. It is always interesting to see how something was created. Helps me learn much more than just seeing the finished product.

1 Like

I’m not sure what happened there. I already added the initial entry to my list - not sure how/why it disappeared. Let’s just hope the new one stays with us.

I got the inspiration to separately stage the foreground, mid ground and background from this tutorial on making 90s anime style scenes in blender.

“Gateway to Another World”

Pure, Non-Competing.
Nothing fancy, just a bit of fun on this one. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Entry from @yo_johann:
Title: Romanticism

Open. Created in Blender. Fallen tree, and terrain meshes are new. All other nature assets are recycled from previous projects.

7 Likes

Reminds me of metroid dread

1 Like

A whole new vote to explore:

Great question. I believe you are referring to lens dirt, this is the node setup for that:

Essentially you just multiply an image with the render and that makes it so that the dirt only shows up in brighter parts of the render.

3 Likes