changing materials and smooth transition between two images

i have two questions, perhaps i should make two threads but i decided to ask in just one cause im out of time.

I have a object and want to change its material from say material A to material B, i could keyframe material A to make it look like material B but this is not what i want to do, if there is some easy way for doing this or even not so easy but acomplishable i would be glad to hear.

The second question is i have say two frames and i want to make a smooth transition between these two in say 10 frames, how can i do something like this inside blender? i know i could use those 2d morphing programs for this task but i would have to learn a new program just for this and i dont want to, also very glad if someone have any clues.

On both Materials you click Z-Transp, and MapTo Alpha. Then on the Material that fades out, at frame 90 (lets say), you click I-Key in the Material Buttons, choose Alpha. Goto Frame 100 and drop the Alpha slider in the Material tab to zero, I-Key again.

For the Material that fades in you do the opposite; I-Key at frame one with the Alpha slider at zero, and again at frame 90. At frame 100 you move the Alpha Slider to 1.00 and keyframe. So, at frame 95 both Materials are 50% transparent.

%<

for the frames question, i assume you want to scale them somehow…so at frame 90, for example, Insert an Ipo that includes the Scale (LocRotScale) then jump ahead 10 frames, scale the object however you want (XY and/or Z) and insert another LocRotScale ipo. The object will smoothly scale from one to the other during those frames.

hmm, Fligh i think that once again you got it, the only point missing in your explanation if i understood is that both materials are aplied through nodes am i correct? btw thanks a lot.

Rogerwickes thanks for trying but you completely misunderstood read it again if you want to help.

No, you can do it in the Materials buttons, just apply both Materials to all verts of the same Object so you have 2 :MAT: 2.

%<

/quote: i have say two frames and i want to make a smooth transition between these two in say 10 frames, /endquote

Please restate your question, and dont use the word frames in two contexts. sorry.

What? Could you elaborate a little bit more? You can blend textures (of course), but materials? You can not assign the same vertices two materials.

Using nodes is the obvious way to blend two materials.

@greboide: what did you mean by the word frames? Frames of a video?

Philosophically, Fligh is correct as usual. Technically, Fligh neglets to mention that it is the texture layers which are being alpha’ed, not the material alphas. What he meant to say is that the texture alpha can be animated, and if the material is basically an image texture, UV or Orco mapped, (or even object mapped i guess would work too) the Ipo actions he indicated work to effect a smooth transition between colors of a material. If a third procedural texture is overpainted, such as marble, then it would appear as if the underlying material changed, sorta like an octopus or that lizard-thing.

What? Could you elaborate a little bit more? You can blend textures (of course), but materials? You can not assign the same vertices two materials.

Sorry for the confusion, I assumed that by ‘frames’ in the second sense Greboid meant two superimposed Planes in the same Object, each with their own Material; one has the frames (first sense, rendered frames) of Material and image A and the other of B, hence my 2: Mat :2 suggestion (though when I read what I wrote there now it’s actually wrong; it should read "just apply each Materials to all the verts of each ‘Frame’ "). Of course, you could just have one Mesh Plane behind the other and Key the alphas the same way.

Using nodes is the obvious way to blend two materials.

Yes it is, but I kinda know where Greboid is and he, like myself, hasn’t quite eaten that elephant yet. Here’s an imperfect example:

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/111/FlighMatSwap.blend

Roger, unfortunately Textures don’t have an IPO slot for Alpha.

%<

But you can animate their Col value on the “Map To” panel. Either insert an “All Mapping” Key or add an Ipo Curve to the Material Ipos “Col” value in the Ipo Curve Editor. Setting the Col value to zero makes the texture (not the material) transparent.

hi, sorry for not being able to answer was out of net, when i said frame i was meaning a picture of a video one small portion of it like 1/25 of a second as is the default in blender i think, i got my problem solved and i will post a animated gif to show what i wanted and how i solved it.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/greboide/logogif.gif

this is the effect i was looking for, i hope it demonstrates well, these are the pre material and post material:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/greboide/logo1.png
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/greboide/logo2.png

and this is how i did it, in fact very simple :

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/greboide/cross.png

the other ways were looking promising but the alpha wasnt enough to completely blend the materials at least not the way i wanted it.

yay time to make a post in finished projects, its not really finished but it is going to be like this cause i dont want to rerender it, maybe in the future i can rerender it with better materials specially the water.

Clever, and much more elegant.

%<

Could you please elaborate greboide? It looks like the solution to my problem at hand, but i’m not getting it. That last image looks like the NLA editor, right? :-?