Changing the intensity of a flame in real time.

Absolute beginner here, no previous animation experience. Please let me know if this is not the right area to ask this question.

I am developing software that provides a user interface which controls the intensity and composition of a flame. I would like to provide the user with a few sliders to change fuel and O2 levels so that they can alter the flame. I was told to look into particle systems. I’ve found a few tutorials on how to render a flame animation, but nothing on how you would go about having a continuously updating flame controlled by external parameters. Do I need to do this in the game engine? I’m really just looking for someone to point me in the right direction as I’m completely clueless.

The user interface is being developed in LabVIEW. From what I’ve read it seems like I’ll need to update the parameters using Python as the middle man. Is that correct?

I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

One option to adjust fire parameters in real time inside blender is to add drivers to some of the fire parameters. http://www.blender.org/manual/animation/basics/drivers.html

You can have the location of a empty object drive a change in a fire parameter

Example blend file attached.
Play the animation to run the fire sim.
Move the Flame Rate empty in the z axis to change the fire Flame Rate value
Move the Smoke empty in the z axis to drive the fire domain Smoke value

Attachments

fire.blend (96.9 KB)

Richard,

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I should have some more time to look this over tonight but it looks very promising!