Character animation broken in 4.0

Bit of a sensationalist title here, bear with me, I have no clue what is happening.

So, I am getting very weird behaviour in Blender 4.0 using a linked & overriden character rig. Specifically the IK hands and pole vectors, which aren’t directly parented to any other bone (they have childof constraints instead so they can switch parent space), don’t stay where I keyframe them : whenever I move them (with autokey on) and change frame, they snap to some distant place in the scene (not world center). Additionally, when I clear their location (alt+G), they snap back to the world center, as if they didn’t have any childof constraints at all. I’m at a loss. I’ll go back to 3.6 in the meantime (have very little use for the new stuff in 4.0).

I cannot see anything related to that in the release notes

maybe add an example blend file with which we can play around?

1 Like

Yes ! I’m stripping down this character to see if I can narrow down the issue, and if I can’t figure it out I’ll share it.

Child of Bone Constraint is one of those complicated features to maintain in a Rig.

Sometimes, they need to be ‘reset’, individually, with their Set Inverse Button.

It could be, with the version change, this property was affected; so, try to Set Inverse for each Child Of Bone Constraint in the Rig. I’m not sure if that needs to be done on Rest Position or it doesn’t matter.

I think you have to use visual keying for the ik bones I just remember that from the cg cookie video about the 4.0 updates (actually is the cg cookie guy Jonathan, but in the blender YouTube channel)

Also works to apply visual transform to pose, and then insert keyframe after offset of one frame between activating and deactivating the influence of the child of constraints…