Character Physics

I’ve created a new animation paradigm that uses target poses and a physics environment to quickly create some amazing effects.

This tool allows creation of animation that looks like motion capture without any mocap equipment.
It can also be used to clean up motion capture data using physics-based interpolation and filtering of mocap data.

I’m hoping to break away from working for other companies and go full time into this and other projects like Modeling Cloth, Surface Follow, UV Shapes, Fit Instance, Live Bisect and other addons I’ve published. It will depend mostly on the level of support and interest I get in this project.

For more information feel free to email me at [email protected]

Cheers!

11 Likes

Fascinating :+1:

1 Like

Looks super cool! One thing I noticed is that your armature is never at rest- it’s always slightly swaying and bouncing, presumably due to constantly correcting the physics simulation happening. I would make fixing this a high priority, if I were you, I think that will allow you to break into a much larger market of use cases

Cascadeur has been around for a while. AI assisted character physics. Yours can have advantages for Blender of being fully integrated with blender and probably price. Your mocap features sound good.

The armature bouncing in the video is just because I keep the pose target changing. If the pose target stops moving it comes to rest. The velocity can be turned down a bit to make it rest more quickly. However, there are some cases where there are instabilities I’m still working out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen Cascadeur. I’m creating a very different user experience with this so it’s not exactly a competitor. We’ll see how it plays out.
Thanks for commenting!

I appreciate the comment! I’ll keep posting updates.

1 Like

First version of the Character Physics plugin is available for purchase at CharacterPhysics.com
I’m trying to make a go at full time Addon Developer so support if you can. (otherwise I’ll probably go get another corporate job).
This is primarily for animating characters but it also happens to work really well for inanimate objects. Here is a tutorial on how to use it for wires and ropes.
More tuts to come!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxo1-jfVJ6w

1 Like

Added some new features and created another tutorial.

1 Like

Beautiful work!! :+1: