Chess Room

I saw a real photo online and wanted to make something similar using Blender but of course i didn’t want to make it look exactly like the photo. I think it needs some improvement because i don’t think the Table looks right; like its just a wrong table and does the book shelf look to fake OR 3d? The chess set is from Blend Swap by the designer Speedthriller and some other props are from BlenderGuru’s ArchitectAcademy.Please let me know and if there are other ways i can improve this scene, let me know! THANKS!

Hello Travisrod, First of all, nice scene. The table looks too perfect. The edges are too sharp, and there is not the slightest scratch on the wood. And nice to see that you used the chess set I made and posted on Blendswap, but it would have been nice to give me credits, since the license is CC-BY.

Thanks Speedthriller for the compliment on the scene! Now that i look at the table after your comment i do see all those flaws in it as being to perfect and sharp. I will probably replace the table with a more “used” look and maybe add a nick or two. WOW that was your chess table?! Brilliant chess set,good job on it; this is my first time using it in a scene and i do apologize for not adding credit for you, i will fix that. Thanks again for the feedback!

wow crazy you could pick your chess set out of an image like this.

agree with Speedthriller that the table is too perfect. the reflection is too strong. also your UV looks to be incorrect in the middle of the table.

i would think of adding a DOF to the image also. my eyes are drawn to everywhere except for the chess set. mostly they go straight to the chair behind the table. and then the books. which also look too perfect. they look list simple cubes with an image slapped on them(which im sure they are…which is ok). beveling the edges should help out a lot. also they should have different materials. most of the books you have are laminated so they should reflect like plastic.

also the rug. the top of it looks ok. the sides look…well thats the problem your rug has sides. sides that look like plastic.

while the plant in the background look ok on it’s own. it is distracting since it is directly behind the chess pieces. i would either move it to behind the chain on the left. or take it out entirely.

when my eyes finally do get the the chess board. they start drifting up till they catch the plant then just keep going till im looking at the windows and shades. i can’t keep them locked to the chess board.

hope that helps.

Thanks a lot MicahN! That was very informational information (does that make since:-/ ) Those little details about the rug corners, books being to perfect, the position of the plant being right behind the chess set, and the rest; it opens my eyes to other pictures I’ve made and now i see all the small flaws in them. Thanks again for taking your time and helping me with this and with giving Great advice! Cheers

Hey you are welcome i was hoping i didn’t come off too harsh. can be tricky critiquing images and being nice at the same time sometimes.

something else i noticed were the molding that is going up the walls between the windows. seems to be unwrapped incorrectly. either that or there are some strange shadows going on.