Choppy performance with Blender 2.80

Hello guys,

So, I noticed that I’m getting a pretty choppy performance with Blender 2.80. Whenever I rotate the camera, zoom in, extrude, or do anything at all (including moving windows and panels) the first few frames are quite choppy, I believe it skips a frame, and it gets pretty annoying.

I’m running a 4K monitor and the problem disappers if I set it to 1080p, but that’s not really an option.

I’m using a 1080Ti and a Ryzen 7 1700.

The model is not heavy at all, in fact, it happens with an empty scene also.

I tried Blender 2.79 and I don’t have this problem but I do have it with 2.80, 2.81 Beta and 2.82 Alpha

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Are you referring to Eevee or do you also have problems in Workbench (Solid mode)
You should not be having such problems with 1080Ti in GUI or when you orbit the view, even in 4K resolution. What is your operating system?

I’m using Windows 10 x64.

The problem only happens in solid, look dev or wireframe modes.

I kinda found the solution. The stuttering happens because the GPU takes a while to ramp up the clocks and usage in blender with a 4k monitor, so the first few frames are choppy. The “solution” is to have something that uses a little bit of GPU open, like a YouTube video, so the GPU doesn’t have to “wake” when I rotate the camera in blender.

That’s why it doesn’t happen in Eevee or cycles. I also tested in 4 different PCs with 4k monitors and they all have the same problem.

That seems to me a not optimal workaround to the problem. Do you have selected any kind of low energy profile or something like that in nvidia settings?

I think you should open a new bug report and discuss this with developers.

Yeah I know this is not a viable workaround, but it’s the way I found to work without getting annoyed. I usually have a video running on my second monitor anyway.

I haven’t tested with different energy profiles, I’ll try it! But I unfortunately can’t do it right now because I had to send my 4k monitor to warranty services and I only have a 1080p available.

The problem still occured with 2.81 and 2.82 alpha. I hope it gets fixed when 2.82 launches, they are working heavily on performance optimization.

I’ll make a bug report of this. Thanks for suggesting!

Ok, when you can do the tests you should do it by selecting a profile for Performance (instead of Adaptive or Power Save profile).

Also test profile for maximum performance in OpenGL settings.

1 Like

As said before, maximum performance setting. For nvidia you can adjust that to per application, so you can select blender.exe and set it to from adaptive to maximum performance in nVidia control panel.

2 Likes

And Blender does better under that circumstances than without other load on the system?
A quite interesting machine…

That’s not really uncommon. The graphic card is downclocking because it’s lower clocks are enough to keep up with blender when not doing anything interactive, and the one second stutter is for the card to ‘notice’ that the power needs to be adjusted when doing something interactive.

It’s very common for old 2D games running on new machines. The clock is constantly going up and down because the base clock is enough to render normal scenes, but when you use spells you need ‘just a bit more’ computing power and it’s switching to full clock, and then going back to low because it’s seeing that you’re using 10% of it’s power, and here we go round.

1 Like

As @Acrivec said, you could try setting your GPU settings to prefer maximum performance perhaps in the application profile? See here:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

I’d expect that to solve it.

1 Like

Ok so I asked a coworker to make some tests on our work PC. He has a 4K monitor and a 980Ti on his machine.

The stutter was present and after setting the power settings on the Nvidia panel to Maximum Performance the problem seems to be solved. I can’t do extensive tests because it’s not my computer and I had to return my 4K monitor due to some defects on it. When I get it back I’ll do more tests, but I believe this solves the problem entirely.

Thanks for pointing out guys!

2 Likes

Ok, I got my monitor back and I spend a lot of time in blender with the changes in the Nvidia Panel. This fixes the problem and the overall performance seems to be better too.