I though about the Santa hat as I was posting the original post. I am also still struggling to find a good looking halo setup for the lights. I may update it tomorrow.
For the cord it was actually easier than I thought it would be. I might post picture tutorial tomorrow:
- First I just extruded 3 circles of about 5 verts each up say 2 units and rotated 45 degrees.
- Then I just repeated that until I had a cyclic section (360 degrees) then duplicated the section until it was a good lenth.
- I split one cord and curved them up for a light.
- After that I duplicated that whole section for about 8 lights.
- Then I just added a curve modifier for the path of the cords.