Church Builders - Documentary Short Film

A short film about the medieval church builders and church architecture.

It took me 1½ year to from historical research to script, final render, video editing.

Everything is done in Blender and GIMP.

The animations are somewhat “stylized”, yet attempts to reconstruct the sites as accurately as possible.

Film:

35 Likes

A great piece, well done! Informative and so well constructed (unintentional pun alert) I can really sense the research and preparation that’s gone into it. The pacing and editing feel great.

Thanks.
Good to know the narrative arc works as well as the pointed arc(h) :wink:

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thanks, Bart!

1 Like

Nice one! :slight_smile:

It’s crazy to think they were able to create such large and stable structures without all the engineering knowledge we have today. Lots of trial and error.
Same for Roman engineering, it is still inspiring today to see what they accomplished.

Nice work! You used textures from textures.com, right? I recognized at least one stone wall texture that I massively used when I created a castle tileset for an Oblivion mod about 15 years ago. :smiley:

Thanks. No, very few textures are from Textures.com, if any at all.

The red brick wall textures are mostly my own, made from a photo of the Greyfriars Abbey of Ystad (Sweden) wall.

The travertine and ashlar are also my own textures.

I did rely on PolyHaven textures from the ground, as well as wood for scaffolding etc.

Great work, I like this style of historical reconstructions.

Video is great, very nice work I like it.

So much of work and rendering, excelent job :+1: :ok_hand: :grinning:

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

Thanks, Bart!
Perhaps I should add that the voiceover in the video is AI.
But it also says it in the youtube description.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s always good to disclose AI use :+1:

Really nice man. I loved the content too