Cinema 4D and Blender - Brothers?

I have recently acquired a copy of Cinema 4D, and I immediately noticed its similarities to Blender. The UI, the way it was set up… It was just so easy to use for me, after years of Blender. And then, I got a bit carried away, and made Blender look like it… And thats when it struck me that not only are they similar, but the Rounded theme that comes with Blender… Is the SAME color scheme that Cinema 4D uses! I think that the guys at Maxon are Blenderheads!

Cinema 4D:

Blender with Rounded theme set up with a similar layout:

I am simply amazed at the similarities.

1 Like

So, is there something like CTRL+R?

1 Like

Yes. It is Shift + P in Blender. Sort of.

But it isn’t the short-cut keys or the layout that amazes me, its the fact that both use datablocks, and the user interface is uncannily similar. Same colors, same style… Everything. Of course, its much more advanced looking in C4D, but it looks like what I imagine Blender 2.50 will look like. The style, that is.

1 Like

sorry for the dumb question: what’s Shift+P for? or Ctrl+R?

1 Like

Render preview in Blender, render view in C4D.

yes, but i believe the question was, if theres an equal of blenders ctrl+r(loop cut) in c4d lol :smiley:

Not really that similar, but close enough. :slight_smile:

Well, actually I never liked C4D…I have a copy as well, although it is already an older version. Although there might be UI similarities, I would not say that they are “brothers”. But of course, it might be because I’m too used to Blender’s interface…in which I almost never use the outliner, which is, on the other hand, an utterly important thing in C4D.

yes they do have a loop cut option the knife tool (press k) has a loop cut option as well as a line cut and a plane cut and a hole cut and a path cut to be honest the knife tool in c4d is one of the best tools i have found so far

now if you could drag-drop in blender’s outliner …

Alright, cousins, not brothers, then.

Although, the procedural textures, although there are more of them, are very similar to Blender’s. And the way the materials work in general. Its like someone beefed up Blender, messed with the UI layout a lot, and made it so that things are used in a different order. For instance, you create a material first, then assign it to an object in C4D. In Blender, its the opposite, but you still assign a material to an object, and you can assign the same material to different objects. There are nodes, but most of it isn’t node-based (just like Blender).

Although, unlike Blender, each tool has a ton of options. The bevel tool especially. In Blender there are two, maybe three options for bevel. In C4D, a multitude.