Cinema 4D R21 Announced

I remember asking a developer at a maxon convention when/if there’ll be updates to the uv tools and he couldn’t tell me anything, or rather wasn’t allowed to…?
And that was years ago. I use blender whenever i can.

Overall I’m just not happy with what they did with the perpetual license. Why change it? They could have just left it alone, unless they just want to force everyone to sub.

Modelling hard surface was what motivated me to switch to Blender from C4d. But i already switched in 2016, foreseeing that Maxon would not fix modelling and most importantly UV tools in time for me.
Hardops / Boxcutter sealed the deal for me.

Forgive me for enjoying this, but it feels soo good to have actual working precognition some of the time.
Yes, that’s what i felt since late 2015. It’s 2019 now, where is the frigging new core??

3 Likes

I use C4D for 10 years… The new price sure helps as an entry point, but still dont find the price appealing here in Brazil. About R$ 3.000 or 4.000 reais per year is one month of salary of the average creative professional. Thats a lot. With Redshift is even worse.

Well, I’m quite happy using Blender. More than I ever was with C4D.

Regarding mograph, you can save and reuse your Animation Nodes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use C4D for 10 years… The new price sure helps as an entry point, but still dont find the price appealing here in Brazil. About R$ 3.000 or 4.000 reais per year is one month of salary of the average creative professional. Thats a lot. With Redshift is even worse.

Well, I’m quite happy using Blender. More than I ever was with C4D.

Regarding mograph, you can save and reuse your Animation Nodes. :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, I really prefer to use Blender over C4D. And I still prefer to pay $0 than $700 anually or $90 monthly (which is a lot of money here). To be fair, I pay my Bronze development fund ($6). It’s not like I’m using Blender just because it’s free. I really find it better, even with a perpetual license of C4D (which I actually have, and I hope to never upgrade).

In the end, the new price model makes you pay more. And subscriptions means one thing: slow development. Adobe, Autodesk, Modo (which I have a license) are proof.

2 Likes

Changed the titles to 21, i hope that it’s okay ?

credit were its due, Autodesk landed a great .2 update today with Bifrost Interactive Creative Environment.

I can understand the nostalgia with C4D, since it started on the Amiga… I had an Amiga 500 & 1200 back in the day when i was a kid. It was ahead of its time with graphics power. My first attempts at 3D were in Caligari Truespace, and that software died a long time ago. I started trying Blender way back in its early days, when the interface very odd, and it was hard to use. Been using it on and off ever since tho, since paid software is out of my price range.

1 Like

Apparently, it has been confirmed now that if your subscription expires, you can access, work on, or render your files anymore.
https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/r21-in-one-month-well-know/2052505/427

Obviously, many C4D users are now even more upset, Blender has already been brought up dozens of times and one of their more avid users is trying it out. Maxon though tries to play the good guy by saying you can pay for one month to update your files or contact a service to get renders out of them.

These policy changes have led to the argument that the Adobe guy they hired as CEO has essentially turned Maxon into the Adobe of 3D, adopting the same policies and licensing models. When you also take into account the idea that this new core is going to change everything, you might also draw parallels to Lightwave (which is not a good position).

Sculpt 3D on the Amiga in 1987 was my introduction to 3D creation. Nostalgia! :older_man:

Sorry for the off-topic babble, guys. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I saw this on CGTalk and thought I was losing my mind for a second. Top thread in Cinema 4d section was Blender Tutorials.

5 Likes

Yea, people are pissed. The new adobe style subs are not that great. Cash cow bullcrap.

good
Maxon deserves this.

On the contrary, there’s some who argue that they don’t find it too infuriating because the perpetual licensing is still around, until you get near the bottom of this article anyway.
https://greyscalegorilla.com/2019/08/cinema-4d-redshift-subscription/#more-563297

There’s a line stating that Maxon is doing away completely with upgrade pricing, meaning you will have to pay full price (over 3000 dollars) for a new Studio license every year if you want the latest version. They’re essentially trying to make it as inconvenient as possible to not switch from owning C4D to renting it.

Blender, my dear friend, let me hug you once more. :heart:

Oh my, they really killed their upgrade service for perpetual licenses? Oof. :man_facepalming:
Now they are even more effed then i had realized before.
This will kill a lot of goodwill and drive some people away. And they will either go to Houdini, Autodesk or become part of the Blender community.
This might also incentivize developers to create more tools for this discipline because the fact that C4d has a monopoly over motion graphics is something that can be challenged and changed.
That’s why i think of all the DCC’s, Cinema is in a special position (a dangerous one).
Their specialty can be taken easily in a relatively short period of time (1-2 years), from ANY of the other DCC’s, while Cinema is no serious threat to any other.

Yes, exactly! That´s the reason I am now here! :laughing:
Same game like 8 years ago, when I left the stranglehold of 3dsmax and Autodesk.

But I can clearly see a big advantage: Now I learn BLENDER! :+1:

6 Likes

I don’t think it will be that easy.

Maya Mash exist officially since 2016, Houdini MOPS is 2017.

C4D is the easiest to use and most stable. Others DCC could learn a thing or two from it before thinking about killing it.

C4D has the best and most easy to use outliner of all DCCs but thats about it.
Oh and a very good keymapper.

Maybe i am a little too enthusiastic with my schadenfreude, but i consider that whole situation as dangerous for them. 3 DCC’s that could potential go after their pole position, uproar and resentment in their core customer base, better prices everywhere else, slow development of their “core rewrite” and lack of new features.
And the pricing situation especially is so messed now, that you theoretically could get an Indie License for Houdini AND Maya and still pay less than for one C4d subscription.