Cinema 4D R21 Announced

What would be nice is if this man started to port his c4d plugins to blender.
https://twitter.com/Nitro4D

This guy is a python wizard :smile:

7 Likes

Blender Foundation should hire him asap! I think he could contribute a lot to Blender :smiley:

3 Likes

Blender is a great program, but TBH I do wish it would step up in regards to motion graphics.

1 Like

By the way have you checked out Animation Nodes?

https://animation-nodes-manual.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Thanks, actually yes also another good tool. BTW is it going to be deprecated (if) when Blender’s everything nodes happens?

I have no idea.

Not sure, but I assume some kind of transitive fusion may happen, since both are devised by same author.

2 Likes

Look who it is… CINEMA 4D S22 (Subscription-Only Release) :eyes:

https://www.maxon.net/en/news/press-releases/article/cinema-4d-s22-now-available/

At nearly 1000 dollars a year (if you want Redshift built in), they seem to be pretty confident if they think they can do this right when a lot of pros are getting slammed by Covid 19.

Though the discussion on CGSociety does not seem to be quite as negative as their R21 thread (even though part of it could be the more critical users being “kicked” out of the community).

Surprisingly, initial reports on the viewport performance of S22 seems rather a mixed bag. Viewport performance seems to have regressed, rather than improved.

According to one user on the C4D Cafe forum, compared to R21 the new version compares (very) badly when dealing with heavy poly scenes and objects. It seems this new version is optimized for scenes with large numbers of (light) objects instead.

“quanity over geo”, as he put it.

I agree with @Ace_Dragon: the pricing seems far-fetched for what the basic version offers, unless your work is motion graphics. I am pretty sure that Maxon will be forced to address this rather sooner than later. My first guess would be that they will include Redshift in the base pricing/rent before the end of next year.

That perpetual version makes no sense at all anymore. FAR too expensive for what is on offer, and you’d be missing out on half-yearly updates such as this S22 release? That’s insane.

Ah, such a shame. I truly loved C4D when I still used it and could afford it. I still use it at work, but I wonder if the agency will stick with it in the long term - in particular in these times.

The C4D Cafe thread appears to have reports of their sculpt tools also regressing in performance.
https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/110284-s22-vs-r21-viewport-speed/#comments

Meanwhile, Maxon staff argues that everything is fine and that it is just a side effect of the current work related to the core, promising users that the end result will actually be massive improvements.

Sure, we can argue that Blender saw some of the same things when 2.80 was released, but Maxon is far more opaque in their development plans and do not give things like point-by-point todo items in terms of what the bottlenecks out and how they will solved.

I have yet to try it, but yeah, I saw people complaining about that on cinema 4d discord too… it’s a shame, since c4d has a very nice clay engine… :frowning:

Did he ever get to create something for blender?

Yea i had the Amiga 500 and 1200 i never knew it could do 3D i was always inpressed by its 2D remember that pained image of Tutankhamen’s gold death mask?

1 Like

What is a clay engine? i can make any kind of clay shader i want in Blender and chose to override all materials with it for a clay render. is that what you mean?

It could, but one image had to render the whole night through if you used ray-tracing, in a resolution of 320 x 256 pixels. :grin:

Definitely. It was an iconic image that was used to promote Deluxe Paint, a.k.a. DPaint. It was created by Avril Harrison, a great old school artist.

I worked with DPaint on a daily basis for about ten years, creating graphics for games, TV shows and more. I’ve got fond memories of that time. :older_adult:

1 Like

It’s the way a “clay” brush behaves when sculpting… the code behind the brush…. (the feeling)… :wink:

Zbrush has a great clay engine… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blender made huge improvements but the UI is still having a lot of messy areas so yeah I fully agree.

That’s also why sketchup which is a crap app is so popular among interior designers.
For what it does it does it very well and easy.

Blender would win more motion graphics artists if they focus some attention on the font menu and an easy way to apply materials to face / bevel / extrude as well as some font animation per character

1 Like