City at night - NPR render

Hello hello,

I’m trying to figure out a new NPR style for an upcoming short film. I’ve used a bunch of deceminate on the objects to abstract them a bit more, and get some interesting angles. The cam movement is done by using the vitrucamera addon.

I’ve also tried a daytime render, but I think it is less successful.

Let me know what you think!

8 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

I love everything about the atmosphere, aesthetic, and composition. And, I think I understand what it is you were going for in with the “deceminate” effect, but it does feel a bit too janky in the animation, as if the bike is broken rather than abstract. I think that the angular shapes work well; it is the strong variation in the thickness of the lines that “breaks” the bike for me.

However, I feel like the effect might fit just right once the object is moving?

Congrats on this again, the sound design is done so well, too!

1 Like

Amazing, thanks @bartv :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Constellating Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

I get what you’re saying, the bike does look broken. Luckily it works for the concept also :wink:

Since making this I’ve been playing around with using multiple deceminate modifiers, all with their own vertex group to select different parts of the bike, and each selection with a different decemination magnitude. It gives a bit more control, but keeps the chaos the deceminate modifiers brings when pushed to almost breaking the geo.

I really like how it produces shapes I would not have thought off myself!

1 Like