Clavicula 3D editor

Well, Twitter and Facebook are pretty much the same thing and updating two social media accounts is tedious… but I’ll try. I’m not even gonna bother with the RSS feed since I have not idea how that works, and have little time to even try.
So: Facebook, IG, Youtube and the website and I’ll add Twitter feed to the website as well. Hopefully that helps.

1 Like

By the way, CLAVICULA 0.9.9.4 was just released and it fixes UI accessibility on HiDPI displays (this was confirmed by a Mac user). Also fixes some SDFs render and shadows issues.

2 Likes

Great, thanks! :+1:

@hypnotau Watching the Clavicula YouTube videos, I haven’t seen SDF coloring / color blending yet. Is that already available, or will it be in a future update?

And something else: I’m using a tablet + pen, so two mouse-buttons to rotate is very inconvenient. Will the navigation controls be customizable? That’s one of the most important things to make switching between 3D editors attractive.

2 Likes

I just haven’t done the materials for SDFs yet, they are actually pretty easy to put there, but there’s extra stuff to do for voxelization. It’s on the TODO list for the next release.

RMB hold + LMB is only used for rotation when adding objects in the scene, because LMB is used for inserting the active tool.
On my Wacom I usually hold the pen RMB and move above the surface for panning, or hold the pen RMB and drag on the tablet screen for rotation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

I’m playing around with Clavicula, mainly with SDF. It looks really promising.

A few observations and questions:

I really like the local symmetry per inserted object.

I also like the auto-hierarchy.

Some questions:

Inserting a new SDF object happens on an existing object’s normals, but when you move the inserted object, it moves in screen space, How do you change the object space for transforms (global / local / screen space / etc.) ?

After inserting an object in mirror mode, how do you adjust both sides at once? (as if the objects on both mirror sides are instances)

In Move mode, you’d expect the axis gizmo to help you constrain to that axis, but you still move the object in screen space. Is there an interactive gizmo you can activate?

The Clavicula menu at the top left contains a Shortcuts entry, but it doesn’t work (I’m using Clavicula 0.9.9.4 on Windows 11). It would be great if tooltips would also indicate the keyboard shortcut.

Is there an object list you can use to select (multiple) objects and name them?

Suggestions:

SDF curves.

SDF object clipping (e.g. making a partial cylinder shape possible):

Separate SDF groups, so you can control which objects don’t blend with each other.

Thanks!

There’s nothing in shortcuts yet, didn’t have time to do it but I will update soon on the website - and maybe link the button to that for easier search.

You have a few types of projection:
Same Depth - D
On Object - O
Normal Plane - N
Normal - Shift+N
Tangent Plane - T

These work for most stuff - draw, placement, transforms, sculpting - they basically determine where the next points of the cursor will be placed.

The objects added in the scene with symmetry (rotation or mirror) are Linked - that’s a concept for objects that support the same changes in Linked Mode (hold ALT for link mode and you will see them highlighted). It even works if adding children to them. You can link/unlink objects, they don’t need to have the same geometry or anything. You can see more here:

Permanent selection and multi-selection are on the to do list. In the meantime, selection = highlighted objects (and you can use linked for multi-selection).

Tooltips is on the to do list. As well as an editable scene tree.
Transform gizmo is also on todo list. What you see is just an indicator of the frame. In VR there will be easier ways to place objects.
SDF curves will be added in the future, but probably not in 0.9.9.5. As well as partial shapes, SDF grouping (parenthesis in the flow of operations, but that’s tricky).

0.9.9.5 will have PBR materials on the primitives and also some ‘painting’ as in SDF primitives can also only color the existing shape.

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info, appreciated!

When learning a new tool, I always create my own illustrated manual for it. I’ve started one for Clavicula:

13 Likes

The new version 0.9.9.5 of CLAVICULA was recently released! Of the new added support for PBR materials for SDF objects!

4 Likes

Would it be possible to import a polygon mesh(high density) and have the software convert it to a SDF primitive?

1 Like

Is it possible to remap “zoom” to something else? I do not have a scroll since I mostly use my pen and my device has no scrolling (display device).

1 Like

Right now there are just the primitives defined as analytical functions. A mesh would have to be defined as a grid based SDF, so while I am thinking about how to do put this together in the current framework, it will be a while till it gets into Clavicula.

2 Likes

I will do a pass over controls later on and I will keep your request in mind, but right now scroll is the only way to zoom.

2 Likes

The new version 0.9.9.6 of Clavicula was recently released! What’s new:

• SDF primitive highlight.
  • SDF clipped shapes
  • SDF arrays (linear & circular)
  • SDF joints
  • tablet pressure
  • orbit camera
  • grid shader layer
5 Likes

Nice!

https://twitter.com/hypnotau/status/1678456912113704982

1 Like

New version 0.9.9.7 clavicula has been released
New features:

• SDF groups and priority
  • SSSS
  • SSAO update
2 Likes
3 Likes

SDF Bézier and helix are being added for the next Clavicula release:

2 Likes

Is it possible for the helix to spin clockwise instead of non-clockwise?

I wouldn’t know, sorry. I’m following the project from a little distance. Haven’t installed it for quite a while, but I’m intrigued, hence my interest.