Clear parent for only some vertices and reparent those vertices with automatic weights?tbb

Hi. So I rigged a character, but the finger bones weren’t rigged properly. I did a lot of weight painting, and don’t want to do it again. So is there a way to only clear parent for only some vertices (the hand vertices) and reparent with automatic weights for only those vertices?

Assign those verts to a vertex group. Duplicate the object, autoweight that duplicate. Data transfer vertex groups from duplicate on the basis of topology, limited by your new vertex group.

Thanks! I’ll give that a try

Another question: do you know if I can use this data transfer trick to… permanently make a mesh 10x bigger while keeping its weight painting? Because I heard that cloth simulations works better with bigger meshes.

You don’t need to use any trick. Just scale the mesh up tenfold. It’ll keep its weights; they’re attached to its vertices. (Not sure I’m really understanding you however.)

But data transfer is certainly a really useful modifier to understand for lots of tricks, and I would recommend getting comfortable with it; it’s probably my third most used modifier (behind subdiv and armature.)