Clipping a curve at a specific point using Geometry Nodes [Solved]

I’m trying to do something that I feel should be relatively straightforward, but I’ve had no success. I have a a curve in my scene, with a bevel and a Taper Object applied. I have used Geometry Nodes to turn the curve into points, and I want to delete any points above a certain value, but I’ve spent a long time fiddling with the node setup, and I can’t get it to work. However I configure the Compare values, I either get all the curve, or none of it.

I assume I’m doing something really stupid, so any help pointing out my deliberate error would be appreciated.

Add a Mesh to Points before your Points to Curves

For me it works
trimtappercurve.blend (909.3 KB)
with your node-setup.

But they are already points at that moment, or?

3 Likes

Yeah true, I just tried it on a setup I had already opened, shouldnt have done that. Maybe I made a mistake.

Just put this together on an open curve circle and the relevant part works as is. You are right.

1 Like

I can’t upload a sample Blender file (new user, so not allowed), so here’s a screenshot of the curve in Object mode, with a copy of the curve without the Geometry Node modifier attached, to show what it should look like. Basically, I want to truncate the curve back towards its origin, so I can animate it growing and shrinking.

I suspect I may be misunderstanding the nature of curves in Blender.

Here’s the same scene in Edit Mode (I can only add one screenshot per post):

Hi Richard,

You can use the Trim Curve node for this

3 Likes

When I tried the Trim Curve node, I just ended up with a series of short segments along the length of the curve, essentially creating a dashed line. :frowning_face:

Do the bevel in the gn setup via curve to mesh when you already trimmed it.

3 Likes

It’s a nice effect, and useful for the next stage of what I’m doing, but it’s not the effect I’m after. :frowning:

Success! Thanks, @Debuk

Now I just need to work out how to apply a material and a taper, but this is a big step forward.

3 Likes

Ok. Good luck

2 Likes

here you go

4 Likes

The segments of the mesh probably weren’t connected before you converted them to a curve resulting in multiple little curves instead.
Use a Merge By Distance node to connect the loose vertices before the Mesh to Curve node:

I’m confident that it will work as expected :wink:

1 Like

Great, thanks. I was 99.5% of the way there on my own, but had the Spline Parameter Factor output plugged into the Float Curve Factor input. :confused:

1 Like

You are correct, thank you. This helps with my understanding of the nodes, and makes it easier to control the length using ‘real’ numbers, since I can set it in metres.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who provided solutions. You’ve not only solved this specific problem for me, but also helped improve my overall understanding of Geometry Nodes and Curves (admittedly, that was a pretty low bar).

3 Likes