Cloning - Triplets

Inspired by Tom Jelfs’ “Blend That Film” Cloning tutorial, I had a good time producing a composite output using three pieces of footage. I wanted to share what I learned, and see if anyone had suggestions for improvement:

• The lighting between my three takes, even though they were filmed consecutively with minimal interruption, was different enough to be seen in the final composite footage. I attempted some manual color balancing to minimize the effect, but there was no way to do that effectively for the whole film. In the future, if I was really concerned about matching the shots, I would be more conscientious about controlling the lighting (i.e. no natural daylight).
  • The leather couch in the shot changed its form enough between takes that it was noticeable in the final result. I would pay closer attention to the setting, and eliminate hard-to-control elements like leather upholstery if they might create inconsistencies between shots.
  • I came across a handy application, the AoA Audio Extractor, when finishing the soundtrack. This software allowed me to pull the audio track off each of my three original clips. I then dropped each track into an Audacity project and created a single audio file to merge with the frame sequence output by Blender. The audio and video was combined using VirtualDubMod.

The result can be viewed at http://manicviii.blogspot.com/2012/02/cloning.html

Good job. You could have feather the garbage matte too. I think that the most obvious difference was the black point rather than the color. That should be a simple change using the curves tool, black output function.

You know the hardest part of this cloning stuff is not crossing matte boundaries. You can do ok audio in blender too these days.