[CLOSED] i.materialise 3D print contest

Greetings!

I agree, the .blend file provided it’s not a great help at first sight… But, after checking out their site and doing some research on how lamps are assembled, I was able to make a .blend template that I’ll be using for my contest entry.

If someone is interested on it, it’s attached to this post. It contains a sketched model of the lamp’s base, fitting and bulb, as well as marks defining the safety zones that must be considered when modelling the shade. Everything is scaled so that 1 big square = 10 cm and 1 small square = 1 cm. That way, it’s easier to model using Blender’s grid as reference.

Well, good luck to everyone!

Attachments

TMP_iMaterializeLamp.blend (425 KB)

ok now i understand so i will scrap my original entry and restart another

and thanks Vexelius that is definately a useful blend file

I don’t get it… I have to actually make the lamp shade thick? Like, I can’t just use a plane?

@CrazyDave

The winners of the contest will get their designs printed, we will also provide lamp bases, wires and etc. We will pack it all and send it to the winners via UPS mail. (That’s the idea).

Thanks for the question about the copyrights. We do not have Privacy policy and Copyrights up on the website yet. But the basic idea is that, it is designers sole responsibility to check if their model (or parts of it) is copyright protected. If you have created your model from scratch, we will not use it or post it to our website unless we get an explicit and clear permission to do so from the author. For this permission we will contact the author separately. This week this information should be available on our website. We do not sell any models on the website at this time. The models currently presented on the website are from our alpha internal testing, and we have permissions from the designers to post it there.

Regarding the quality of .blend file: for 3D printing, the file will be converted to *stl format and checked by production team, they might do some changes to the file to make sure the model is printable. In any case I will check with the person who designed the file.

The fitting for the US based lamp is in fact a cone and the widest part of the cone should be at the bottom.

Thanks for your feedback CrazyDave. If you have any questions feel free to post them here.

@HELIX
Thanks for the screenshot and your interest in the contest. The screenshot is great, the reason why we’re asking to have top, side and plain view, is that it will make it easier to compare submissions for the vote.

@mokazon
It is possible that the model has to be redesigned, but it is also possible that minor changes have to be made. It really depends on the model, thus sometimes we can fix the model on our own, but sometimes we need designer’s cooperation.

@Vexelius
Thanks for the post, and if the explanation is not helpful, we will try improving it ;). This is the reason why we have BETA :D…

Guys, thanks for your input.

@-[Killer]-

Would it help if I post screenshots? We will add thickness if necessary during our printing process, but you will need to indicate how to thick you want the shade to be.

Aside from that, I’ve checked the file. It might be easier to design having base of the lamp.

For the final submission, base is not necessary, just the fitting and the lamp shade.

hi,

i have a question: if i would make something with branches like a tree, how thick would they need to be for enough strength.

or would this be completely undoable

i just dont want to design something and in the end realise it isn’t possible to make :smiley:

thanks

@zeddicus

According to production people minimal thickness should be 1mm.

thanks

but i have more questions

does it have to be a lamp on a lamp base or could it be a table lamp?

and if i wanted to make to cubes so that the one cube is sticking half out of the other, does it need to be one mesh (with boolean or something) or is it possible to just slide two seperate meshes through eachother?

it would be much easier if i could just slide them into eachother.

here is what i mean

Attachments

@zeddicus
It is better to have one mesh.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about fitting file. Here is additional info on that:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5507/createyourowndesignlamp.jpg

thank you that is indeed very helpfull.

but i have another question
does it have to be a lamp on a lamp base or could it be a table lamp?
:o sorry if i am being a pain in the ass right now.

@zeddicus

You’ll need to design a lampshade with proper fitting, that’s all. The base, and everything else will be supplied to the winners of this contest @ no charge.

if you have any more questions feel free to post them :slight_smile:

could something like this be possible
i don’t want to proceed if it isn’t possible :smiley:

Attachments

i hope this is possible
(for those who don’t know, this are the masks of the slipknot guitarists)

Attachments

Here are my ideas, hope all are valid, the base is only for illustrative purpose :slight_smile:

Attachments

Since you are providing a base I just made a shade, the white circle is lamp fitting thing. Haven’t measured the are but can scale the shade up a little bit more. Not necessarily my final design but wanted to be sure to reply before the deadline in case I don’t have time to make any modifications.

Anyway here it is, I call it “cog rose”

Edit: first update. Added holes, made the bottom better. (New one to the left)
Edit #2: Unsure about the holes. Consider both separate entries, I let the judges decide which is better :slight_smile:

Attachments

My entry (Ortho & Perspective). I hope you like it :slight_smile:

Attachments

What timezone is the deadline in?

i might change some more but since the deadline is tomorrow i post this
which, i presume, is a valid entry.

its a shame that the fitting is in the middle of the hand but i saw no other solution

i call it creation

Attachments

Had a look here yesterday and thought Id give this one a go. The design is based around the comet moth, the idea being moths attracted to the light:)

There are one or two little things I was unsure about, at the moment the moth and globe meshes intersect but are not connected by faces. I can connect them if it is a problem.

I’ve done a quick n dirty render with preview materials although I’m not sure what the final shade willl be made from and I was also wondering about the time because I might have another go at this.