[CLOSED] i.materialise 3D print contest

Here’s the quick preview render.

in case it is possible to add a second entry
this is it.

more abstract. like there is a sphere inside the cubic construction.

i hope it was not nessesary to add the lamp base for demonstration.

Attachments

And here is my entry! It’s based around a geometrical arrangement called Flower of Life.

Attachments

Quite basic but not so simple shape, somehow resampling a galaxy or the sun. And this lamp might be user universally, from the ceiling, on the desk, etc.

Attachments

Here comes another one from me, Phoenix

Got a couple of normals facing the wrong way but I really need to sleep, will try to find some time to fix that and improve other things.

Attachments

The idea is that the lamp shade blocks most direct light at eye level but lets lots of light spill upward. There are 21 pieces. 21 is the 8th term of fibonacci sequence. I thought that was appropriate because the arrangement of pieces in the lamp follow similar patterns which are found in many plant structures such as pine cones, artichokes, and roses. All are related closely to the fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio.

Attachments

Thanks to everyone for their submissions, we decided to prolong the contest, until Wednesday, September 16th (23:59 GMT +1), so you guys will have couple more days to work on your stuff :wink:

@zeddicus
Looks buildable to me :slight_smile:

@svenapv
slipknot ftf \m/ hehe

@Pikol
Great designs :smiley:

@Sim88
it is not really necessary to have lamp bases on the screenshots, it’s really up to you.

@artbek
I sure like it, this is the kinda things we normally do ;). looking awesome

@seanser
good job, looks great :smiley:

@Vexelius, @sebih, @baqueta314
Thanks guys the designs look awesome

Sorry, for not being able to reply yesterday :frowning:

Hi, i also will try me in this contest, cuz it sounds fun ^^.

Here is a blend, with 2 bases, is it somthing i should work with?
This is not my final printlamp thing ^^!!

greets Equal

Attachments

LampBase.blend (183 KB)

@Equal
You will need to work with fittings located on our website in the download section. Make sure to use proper fitting depending on your location ;).

You, sure can use the lamp base file provided by Vexelius if it is easier for you to model like that ;). Just make sure your final lamp shade has the appropriate fitting.

And if you have any questions/suggestions feel free to leave them here :wink:

Good luck with your model

Ok, the template is indeed very useful.
Thx Vexelius.
Edit: but its not for my location >.>

What are the limits:
Have those lamps to be thin, like u would use some paper, or can they be massive.
Can imagine the progress of creating a “form” like a printer in 3d? like it runs over the place
about 10.000 times always adding 1 layer over the other.

thats all
greets Equal

@Equal
PM me with your location, I will check with the guys in production, and get back to you with possible options.

When designing keep in mind that your lamp shade should maintain at least 1mm wall thickness, and be around the same size as in the lamp specs in my first post in this thread.

In the spirit of all things Durian :smiley:

Attachments

Design #2 (ortho & persp)

Attachments

@sketcha, @artbek
Thanks for participation, looking awesome.

This started out as a study of the geometry in the Beijing Olympic swimming facility and by mistake became an interesting lamp. The watery foam pattern warps around the light source like the tunnel in a big wave. The only thing is there is no thickness to the individual planes. I’m not sure from how you worded it but it sounded like you thought it would be easy to ‘specify’ thickness from a surface on your printer :] otherwise I can probably grind it out the hard way. With a 3mm (or whatever minimum below that you think will be structurally sound for the material) thick edge you would probably see a nice foam-like pattern of edges the image doesn’t quite show. This would make a nice reading lamp as more of the light projects downward than out or up.
http://img149.imageshack.us/i/compentry.jpg

@dnm
thanks for your submission. Looking good.

I just found out about this…only 4 days til the deadline!!

I also just started learning Blender last month but I really want a printed lamp :frowning:

Modeling now…

Thank you Vexelius. That base model helps a lot.

A pleasure, cchao.

Here’s my second (and as time runs short, maybe last) entry. It’s an homage to the precursor to LEDs, the Nixie tube.

Attachments

@cchao1
4 days is a long time ;), give it your best shot.

@Vexelius
Great effort, and… well, excellent design O_O