Cloth modifier acting weird

Hi there,

I have some troubles with the cloth modifier. And I can’t figure out what is causing this. Have searched on internet (and Blenderartists.org of course) but can’t find the right answer. Hope someone can help me out, please?

The problem is that, when for example I want to make a towel out of a plane, the cloth modifier collaps/deform/crunches the plane.

I used a box as collision object (didn’t change default settings and applied rotatien/scale on box)
I used a plane as cloth object (applied rotation/scale) and used Silk preset with Self collision checked.

Both objects (box and plane) were subdivided for like 50 times. I’d say enough?

What am I doing wrong???

Just a thought: What’s your setting for the cloth under Collisions->Object Collisions->Distance ? it might be set too high, so colliding too early.

1 Like

It’s weird, I tried with all default settings (I just checked self collisions)
cloth

• Plane is subdivided 50 times
  • Cube is a collision objet, not subdivided and not even applied transform

Are you sure you actually run it with default params ?

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

Guess we should have a blend file to figure this out.

I just ran the same test and worked fine for me. I did however tilt the cloth to an angle and subdivide many more times (subdivide 10 cuts then subdivide more 4 times) and it seems to be self colliding in mid air, which seems to recreate the problem.

Have you tried reducing the subdivision?

Thanks for reacting so quick. Great.
Yes, defaults in every attempt. And this (your GIF) is exactly what I wan’t to create, but just can’t.
What happends when you rotate plane on X before simulate cloth?

Thank you for your reply!
I understand, but I thought it’s such a simple basic setting, is almost is faster to recreate then to open my file…

Well, you see that two people have tried that and it works for them, so it likely is a subtle issue of some settings which are different (for whatever reason).

Hi Norrid,

That’s exacly what happend to me.
I tried severel amount of subdivs, but same result.
When I don’t scale box and plane and don’t rotate plane on x-axe, the modifier works fine by the way…

cloth troubles.blend (3.0 MB)

You’re right, no problem to upload ofcourse

Okay, this is weird.
I scaled both objects 200% and the cloth modifier worked…
I saw this tip :

1 Like

I tried your .blend and get exactly the same. If I un-subdivide so I have fewer subdivisions, it works fine. I’m wondering if it’s a computer resource issue or simply that self collision on high poly meshes is unpredictable.

I’m I’m interested to see if others have the same issue with the file.

1 Like

Looks like it probably is rounding errors on small meshes.

Thanks a lot for trying. Glad it’s not only a problem on my pc.
Weird though this happens…

1 Like

I think I see what’s wrong. The default distance for self-collisions seems to be 0,015m. This is quite close to the size of your mesh faces. It should be smaller, though. Try .e.g 0.005, then it should be fine. Scaling the mesh of solves it in the opposite way, so no surprise there.

2 Likes

BULLSEYE !!!
Thank you so much, you just saved my good night sleep…

Sloppy I didn’t see it myself.
Really great, you guys, putting time and effort in this. Am very greatfull, thanks
(this is why I love the Blender community :heart:)

1 Like

Actually it is quite a weird change they did in 2.8, to use global space distances for that value. In 2.79 the value was in multiples of the mesh face length, so that couldn’t happen so easily.

Agree,
But then again, i don’t dare saying anything negative abou blender… very gratefull for it

This topic is so apropos for me because a while back, I was working on a curtain sim, (v2.79), and I was getting similar “garbage” wrinkling and couldn’t figure out why - I thought it was a bug in Blender at the time.

Now with v2.8 I’ll be working on that curtain sim again (friend / client) and I’m hoping the answers here have covered perhaps what I was experiencing previously!

-Will

i signed in just to say thank you. i had same issue, the problem was the distance. thank you :heart:

1 Like