Cloth simulation - my joined "cloth" falling apart !?

Hi,

Need help.
I am trying to join pieces of a dress into one using “Ctrl-j”
Then apply cloth simulation to it … attached top part of dress (“assign” to cloth Physics.Shape) to a bone.

When run simulation, the dress fall apart into 2 or more …
So is it limitation of blender cloth physics to work on only 1 mesh? … and not able to join multiple meshes. Or is it something I need to setup other than usual “cloth physics” and “pin” top part of it to a bone ?

Appreciate help/advise what I need to do for using cloth simulation with multiple meshes joined for dresses.

Hi @seemon,

Joining meshes per CTRL J only defines the mesh as one, this doesn’t mean the underlying geometry is connected or one mesh. You then need to go into edit mode and Merge by distance by pressing M, always check seem’s manually by grabbing and moving them to be sure.
Tip: Blender has a preinstalled addon called 3D print toolbox that you could activate that checks and cleans models so they can be printed, but it sometimes comes really handy just to check if your model has open holes, faces, wrong stuff in general.

Thanks a lot. It works now as 1 piece of dress :slight_smile:
As for the 3D print toolbox … I don’t really understand how to use it effectively.
I try to run it … but guess I need to go with some tutorial how and what it helps.
Appreciate the prompt respond.

Did you create the sewer lines connecting the different parts of your mesh?

Without edges connecting those vertices the cloth is going to fall apart, as it did.

All your pieces of cloth need to be connected by lines, like this:

It’s not enough to be inside the sabe object.

Note that it is ONLY edges connecting the pieces. If you put faces they will interfere in the simulation and it will not work as it should.

hmm how to sew … you know of any good tutorial to sew edges?

This one shows the basics really well.

Thanks Calandro. Will go thru’ a quick review shows it is quite good indeed.

1 Like

Try setting the main clothing article as the parent to the smaller articles.

Try not to necro a thread and respond to it 3 years later.
All the responses are dated…if you have permanent information that is current and it is another solution, reference this thread in a NEW thread…that way we can stay current with Blender versions, and participants. Thanks!

Also, welcome to BA…
Happy Blending!