Cloth vs Sewing

Hey there!

I’ve got this problem with having gap at the sewing part, and i have the sewing checkbox turned on.

Object transform freezed.

Blend file attached with deleted cache due to the smaller file size + zipped
cloth_test_01.zip (579.5 KB)

Do You have any idea how this issues should be solved please?

Thank You!

To my mind sewing is only really used to make the ‘final’ mesh you want, either for a static render for the more later simulation, etc.

So, I’d just pick a frame that has it as close or looks as good as you want, and then apply all modifiers and manually edit the resulting mesh for later work.

What about if i want to animate my cloths sim? :slight_smile:
So no static render but a animation sequence that contains cloth sim…

Thank You for your feedback already!

Again, the sewing is really only a means to create the initial mesh, tho for the most part I don’t even do that. I usually use/base it off the underlining object, so like a character body to make the clothes.

If that’s not the sort of cloth sim/animation you are doing, so more like a flag, etc, then for the actual simulation of the cloth, sewing wouldn’t even be turned on. You’d want to start with a best case mesh for cloth simulation.

In render, the gap will cast shadow, it would look like really weird, not to speak how the vertices would animated via the sim since they are not on the same position.
Can You show me a tutorial where i can see the method You are using please?
Thank You!

Yes, so you apply the cloth sim, and then manually meld the vertices together, then with that new mesh, add a new cloth sim and do the animation as if it was the base mesh all along.

Even if you could get the sewing to fully work and join up, one would still do the above so that it never has to sew stuff together again, unless of course that is the actual animation one wanted, but usually it isn’t.

As for what I do, in the case of cloths for characters, its basically the same as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioXMXbJxBuQ&list=PLL3OEv6vd5VA4owAPOI0QdCcEmvl1f3BT&index=8

As for what I do, in the case of cloths for characters, its basically the same as this:

I was afraid of this, what You linked here will be the case. There is no cloth sim on those “clothes”, even the wrinkles modeled out with subdiv topo.

So as You say the best way is to “freeze the cloth sim”, manually fix the sewing gap, and then animate the cloth mesh as a traditional skinned mesh, as for example a human body mesh, right?

That is by far the easiest yes, especially given Blender current simulation system.

It can be simulated tho, for example in my test animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUcJ9yMQVA

The shirt was modeled basically using the technique from the Dikko video, but it is then animated using a cloth sim on top of the armature skinning.

It’s a huge pain in the neck tho, so if it can be avoided, best to do so.

This is what I do when Sewing a Cloth Sim, and you see the separation, it never fully merges even after cranking up the sewing power…

I add a weld Modifier to the Cloth…that usually merges all of the loose areas and keeps them joined, better than Merge by Distance as the modifier is non-destructive, and if on a certain frame, it starts to separate again, you can keyframe in increasing the distance for the weld ( just remember to keyframe it back down after the offending frames so that it doesn’t start puckering of the cloth). I also never use a solidify to the cloth but a single layer, if I need to see the cloth with a seam say at the bottom of a dress I model in a seam as a U shape and far enough away that the weld doesn’t;t merge things together…

This is just the way I do it…I hope it will also help you with your simulation…

2 Likes

Hey, that’s a good idea to use the weld modifier
I always forget that blender has such modifiers :slight_smile:

For both of You, Thank You for the answers and ideas!

1 Like