COA tools dead?

Is COAtools addon for blender dead or do we not need it anymore for blender3.6
Anyone who can tell me more about this.

Since this github ndee85 coa_tools issues 203 is unanswered… IDK…

Then I guess its dead.

Oh… you may want to look into this:

That would be amazing.
Unfortunately the latest version is for blender 2.9

What was it …? Hope dies last.

There’s been activity on one of the recent forks as recent as a month ago; so In some way it’s not completely dead.

Aodaruma/coa_tools2: a Blender addon for cutout animation (github.com)

This is the first fork I’ve seen where someone actually bothered to update the main readme. And they have begun some critical reworks to get it working for Blender 3.4+, so perhaps this is the one to back.

I would rally behind this person and try to offer what ever support you can. Really anyone who actively contribute deservers a cut of a open crowd fund to make this commercially viable.

If we started funding this person or others like them; we have a chance at re-kindling this thing.

I will be trying to find a way to reach out and offer some assistance. Even if it’s just some UI mock-ups for some basic bits and pieces; I’m sure these individuals can use all the love they can get.

But I should tell you I’m so loaded with things to do; any aspiring contributors shouldn’t worry about doubling up on work against what I’m pledging; because there’s a chance I may not get around to it, or your contributions may top mine! who knows.

But yeah; I’ll try to at least find time to test this version some time.

Hi all,
I just wanted to let you know that I updated coa tools to work with the latest blender version (4.1). You can download the latest master from here:

I versioned it now 3.0.0. Which will be the version for Blender 4.x because there have been some major changes in the api which makes it hard to be compatible with blender 3 and 4 at the same time.

If you want to install it, make sure to zip the folder coa_tools and install that zip file via the addon manager in blender. Be sure that you are zipping coa_tools folder.(and not the content of the folder) Otherwise it won’t work.

Hey, as soon as I try to import any sprites it throws this error, same happens with the older version when I tried it on 2.8

something I overlooked?

Just tested with a fresh install directly from the github repository. Works all fine for me.

Why is it placed in coa_tools2? Did you have an installed version already? I am not quite sure why your structure looks like that. I would recommend to remove old versions of coa_tools from the addon panel. And then install it again.