Coding - use examples for modellers?

Hello.

In many interviews for 3D modellers (and in job adverts) I am being asked if I can code python.

Frequently I am being asked this by companies that seem to just want models produced for sale as assets, or to be rendered as stills in games. I’m not sure what benefit being able to script would bring to e.g. a render of a vase at 512x512, and I wonder if this is just HR-inflation :smile:

So I’m just curious - to those of you can code, what do you use it for? Are there any specific (and routine?) uses in modelling? So far I can’t say I’ve modelled anything that really required some ultra-specific tool that doesn’t already exist.

I used to write scripts when doing statistics, but this was in R (which uses a language that evolved from the S coding language), and it was hard going. I guess I will have to learn some python eventually, but it’s a hard thing to take on without specific ideas of how to use it. I’d also rather focus on the specific topics that might increase my chances of employment rather than learning things that might be considered fundamentals but are otherwise not utilised in Blender.

With python you can do a lot of things - e.g. writing your own add-ons which can save a lot of time for your work if you are doing things repetitive. e.g. you wanna change hundreds of materials which are similar but not the same and you wanna just change their emission value a little bit. Yes, you can do that manually - and spent hours with it. Or with a bit of python knowledge - you can do this in minutes.
Also you can do things in Blender with python you cannot do at all with “vanilla” Blender because the Blender API is VERY powerful and you can use the whole API to build incredible things - i don’t know if you know e.g. the animation nodes add-on - it is just build by python. And this IS a really powerful add-on.
By the way: nearly all add-ons are made with pure python - and i think you also use a lot of them. e.g. Node wrangler.
Whenever you have to do repetitive things - python will be your time saver.
Whenever you wanna do something which Blender cannot do itself - python might be the way to go (or you search and buy/use add-ons).
And i think beside selling your art work, python is one of the best ways to earn money with BLENDER - because not everybody knows python - even less know python AND the Blender API - and even less can build add-ons - and if you do a bit of research in BlenderMarket and checkout the best selling products you will soon find out: you can earn A TON of money with the right idea and building a great add-on :wink:

But yes - for pure modelling - it might not be that helpful. But checkout the add-ons for modelling - they are made by python as well…and be honest: did you ever use a modelling add-on? → so python helps you :wink:

1 Like

If you are 100% from a modeling or graphics oriented background coding is only a way to automate certain tasks. Usually the most simple coding is to have “macros” with Panels and GUI in order to make work faster.

Another trend, as of now is that you have the ability to use Node Programming (Geometry Nodes or Shaders), for various tasks. Typically you would read some code and convert it to a node setup.

Though Node Programming is not the same as “programming” but at least you can transfer knowledge from one-to-another in a reasonable way, without focusing too much on technical stuff.

I guess what companies are interested in, are Nodes, right? Say for example “Blueprints” or “Visual Scripting” in Unity and Unreal as such.

1 Like