Coffee

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4825515434_de2fc770b6.jpg

I’m currently working on another project, and the beans were part of that. I was very satisfied with how they turned out, so I made them a side project. :slight_smile:

Nice! talk about detail! is that sculpted or something? also, are all the beans as detailed?

Great lighting, textures, and attention to detail!

some crits (personal preference):
soft shadows would be better
layout could be tweaked
spill/dust/dirt needs work

Very nice!
I’m not sure what it is, but something about the material looks slightly off. I think it might be a bit too plastic-y? (yes, that’s a word) :P.

But I could be wrong of course, can you post the reference photos you used?

I agree it looks too perfect, it needs something like tiny pores. But the modeling is fantastic.

This is the image I used:

I know it’s a bit off. I’m thinking maybe I need to add small particles of dust on them or something, and roughen up the surface a bit more. On the other hand, the details might have been too small for the bean-sized object. I’ll sleep on it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I could just reduce the fresnel effect on raymirr and reduce gloss. Then tweak the normal map and it should be fine.

This is a very simple model. Most of the work on details was done with hand-painted normal map. The project was actual texture painting exercise, but the actual texture painting was so slow in my box that I had to resort to adding finishing touches in Gimp.

Great work! I can feel the smell. “Grand aroma” :wink:

I think this is the best I can do (or willing to at this time, anyway).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4826357907_e4b5cfa471.jpg

Grand aroma, lol! :smiley: Damn, I need coffee now. :eyebrowlift:

MMMMMM coffee

Actually I prefer the first image, the detail is good on the side with the crack, but on the backside of the bean it seems a little boring and lack of detail.

But if we think in reality, a bean is not the size of a football field, the detail you’ve put into it is sufficient. Great work of art.

Nah. You have plenty of detail to work at if you want. I’ve found reference images that make my beans look like a plastic ball. :no: But this is decidedly a side project, so I can’t spend so much time. I might get back to it one day, though.