Collection following path with random settings and cap top and bottom

Hi, it’s me again. I hate to be the one on the Forums saying, ‘how do you do this,’ but there we go. I’m unsure why my collection of cylinders hop off the line AND why their sloppy shape is preserved instead of jumbled or in a line. I’d like the collection to follow the path’s shape to include a node to randomly scale those pieces.

Capping the top and bottom was almost so easy I suspect there’s better advice; otherwise, a small victory.

Collection on path:

… use the rotation output from your Curve-To-Points to align the objects, and feed in a random value into the scale to “randomly scale those pieces”.

Yeah, you got lucky… your curve is up-side-down and starts at (0,0,0)… A general multi-curve solution looks like this:

Good luck.

3 Likes

Aren’t you ashamed! This is the last time I catch you asking for help on a forum

If I understand correctly (not 100% positive), choosing “relative” under the object info nodes may help

1 Like

I’m glad for the responses… thank you both. Final two questions for this effort!

Q1 Selected in yellow outline is ONE PATH duplicated in Edit mode. Central object is Duplicate in Object mode. How can I cap the ONE PATH similarly to the central object? Will some nodes help treat any Duplicate like others whether in Edit or Object mode?

Q2 How can I now add a ‘scale gradient’ to the random scale? ex. At path factor 0.0 and 1.0 the base scale is 0.1 and at path factor 0.5 the base scale is 1.0… I tried some Material Node tricks but they didn’t take.

This is a little tricky with the way that you generate the top and bottom objects. since you are sampling the curve, rather than getting end points, you are sampling along the total length of the curve objects.

If you just want to separate those two curves, you can use these nodes:

To get every beginning point of a collection of curves, use the nodes that @zeroskilz posted above, those will work for multiple curves in one object.

2 Likes

Use the nodes I posted above, just replace the mesh primitives with your Object Info nodes. As I’ve explained already, it is a general-purpose multi-curve solution (example screenshot is a single Bezier curve object, containing multiple curves):

Use a float cure on the captured curve-factor:

Good luck.

2 Likes