Collision

ey blender users

i’m kinda new with blender so i wonder if anyone could help me
i’m trying to make an animation where a ball falls in a piece of paper
and the paper wraps it’s self around the ball.
what would be the best way to do this?

M

Sounds like a fun expiriment, I might try that. I would use a plane with softbody applied…

Good luck with that. If I try something I’ll mail you a mini-tut, so you can see how someone else did.

-aML

Are you new to Blender or 3D in General?
Does the paper wrap around the ball as the result of the impact? Or does the paper wrap around the ball as a reaction of the ball being on the paper? Does it have to be a physical correct animation? Or should it be like the paper and the ball are actors?

Yes, let’s say that the paper is flying in the wind and then a ball comes crashing in it. they fall on the ground and they roll. because the ball is the size of a tennisball en the paper the size of a newspaper it kinda rolls itself around the ball.
and yes it has to be a physical correct animation.
i’m not new to 3d (i’m not a pro either) but i’m new to blender
the most trouble i have so far is that when the ball hits the paper, the paper goes trough itself.
is there a fast way (or a way that is eazyer than going it by hand) to prevent this?

ow and the newspaper is wet so it’s sticky, that’s why it can wrap itself around the ball.
otherwise the ball would just roll itself out of it.

Wow! That’s a dificult one.
My first solution would be to just keyframe everything by hand and hope it comes out physical correct.

Another solution would be to use softbodies, but it won’t look like a paper or something. If you use Bjorn’s latest patch, you’ll get selfcollision detection. The ball is the deflector. After baking the animation you can adjust everything though. Like adding ipo driven shapes to the paper. Adjust the folds and stuff.

Just had this idea. (if you haven’t already) try and get a real world video of what you want to happen (rather than imagining it) and study it in slow motion to see the physics of it. Sounds pretty tough though.