Colored god rays through stained glass window in EEVEE or EEVEE-Next?

I’ve spent the last 12 hours trying to find a way to add colors to god rays that pass through a stained glass window without using Cycles. Even tried EEVEE-Next in Blender 4.2 experimental. Can’t get it to work. Standard god rays work fine, but I’m too dumb to figure out how to colorize them. Willing to pay for an add-on that does this. Can anyone help me?

This is the kind of result I’m looking for.

I think it just does not work in Eevee (or Eevee next).

1 Like

Fake it- paint the god rays on a transparent plane

Doesn’t work in Eevee, it’s a known limitation. Don’t know if it’s planned for Next, but if so probably not just yet.

Could this be faked by projecting an image into the scene somehow? EEVEE-Next has lights with nodes, so maybe somehow it would be possible to project a texture that lines up with the window…

Transparent plane won’t work for me as I need to animate the scene/camera. A projection, however, would work.

Does it? I am using 4.2 and nodes do not work for lights in Eevee next.

There seems to be an ability to enable nodes for lights in the shading tab, but I’m not sure they do anything. Using 4.2 experimental downloaded a couple of hours ago.

Yes I could add nodes but they do not seem to do anything.

I have found these 2 videos
The first one does not show how they do it, they sell the method.
I think the method they use is similar to the one in the second vid (that provides a file in the vid description)

They do not use “lights” they “project” the image onto the material from an empty using shader nodes (on the object that “receives the light”). Based on the object cords of the empty. It is a bit of a trick and is not really “lighting” it is changing the emission value of the shader.

I am not sure how to apply that sort of material to volume but it does look possible ( seeing the first vid)

Edit;

Playing with the file from the second video you can swap the empty for a spot lamp, and plug all the nodes into the base colour of the spheres material, that way you can use some of the spots parameters.

1 Like

I made something similar: Fake Rays from Stained glass windows - UV coordinates to volume? - #2 by DNorman

1 Like

I am pretty sure that was Cycles not Eevee, did you get the colours to work in Eevee?