Coloring

Ladies and gentlemen, I’m still a blender noob… but I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me how to color individual faces on one object, because it makes me very limited when I can’t. lol. Thanks.

Colt

Use the vertex paint mode, select them in UV mode then go to vertex paint to prevent color bleeding to neighboring faces. Then select Vcol in the material buttons.

First go here in order to answer your question about how to get separate textures / colourings on different faces of a single mesh: http://www.tinyurl.com/q9u2k

Then have a go at completing the tutorial for making a single dice at http://www.tinyurl.com/n784t (it’s a bit old but still relevant)

Finally, once you know that, you’re next going to want to know about accurate texturemapping, where you will drop flat colouring techniques in favour of placing images on the faces of your mesh… http://www.tinyurl.com/ohtju

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Thanks, but whenever I do what you said, it just colors it white even if I have the color set to, say, red. How do I change the color, and how do I just change the entire color of the face without having to paint it?

Work your way through the links gave. In order. The first one specifically handles that.

I did as the tutorial showed me, but when I changed the color with different faces selected and assigned, the entire thing still changed to that specific color. This is irritating… it might be because I don’t have the tab in the Materials menu under Shading that specifies the color for each index. Do you know how I can change that? Thanks.

Yes, it is quite confusing. Your problem is caused because there are two places where you need to set new properties to add one colour. The tutorial will get you there if you read slowly and don’t jump steps.

But, because I had exactly the same problem not so long ago, I’ll break it down for you. (Clears throat) Following the gist of the first tutorial (Material indice)…

Let’s play with the cube you generally start off with in Blender. Select the cube and change it all to yellow like this…

In “object” mode select the cube and then go into “materials” panel. (This done by clicking the “Shading” icon which is a small sphere and then the “materials” icon further to the right after that, which is a small red sphere)
You should see next to a button called “col” that the surfaces have a default grey colour. Double click the grey square and make it yellow. The whole cube should now be yellow. (I use FFFF00 in the “hex” part of the colour picker)

Yay. Now we have a completely yellow cube. You could do this already I’m sure. However I wanted to make sure we’re on the same wave length. Here comes the new and useful stuff…

Hit the “Editing” panel icon (looks like a square with bead corners) and you should see an area with the yellow material and “1 MAT 1” written below it. This means “total 1, material 1 currently showing”. Hit the NEW button below this once to make it read “2 MAT 2”

You now have two materials (“2 MAT 1” and “2 MAT 2”), but they are both the same colour of yellow :slight_smile: You can switch between them using the arrows on either side of “2 MAT 2”. Make sure you are on “2 MAT 2” because were are now going to assign a new colour to that material before associating that material with chosen faces of our mesh.

NB: Do not try to change this colour yet. changing one will also change the other, because they are both linked to the same colour. We will need to make a separare colour for each material.

What? Okay, please UNDERSTAND THIS: Materials and colours are not the same thing. Materials are kind of like… um… paper that covers your mesh. Materials can have different colours, they can also have different textures, bump maps and other stuff. A material is a collection of all these properties. So in order to give your mesh two different coloured faces, you’re going to need to give it two new materials (we now have two of those) and each of those materials is going to need to have a separate colour assigned to it.

…so then, we have two materials, but we still have only one colour which is currently assigned to both of them. This is why you have been changing the whole mesh in your earlier attempts. You need to create a whole new colour and then assign it to material “2 MAT 2”.

With “2 MAT 2” still selected under “Link and Materials”, Go back to the “Shading” panel (small sphere icon) and look under the “Links and pipeline” section. You should see a dropdown list with MA:Material written on it. (next to this is a “2” which means two materials are using this surface) Hold down the dropdown box (up/down arrows to the left - press them like a button) and you should see an option to “ADD NEW”. Do that now. This will create a new colour material called “MA:Material.001”.

Incidentally, I should add that under the current “Link to object” section is an ME selction box to switch from “2 MAT 1” and “2 MAT 2”, to help make sure you give the colour to the right material.

Now hit the bright yellow “col” square and change it to bright red. You should notice that THIS time it isn’t changing the colour of the faces of your mesh like it was before when you tried on your own!

…that is good. It’s because this colour is for the second (red) material, and your current mesh is associated with the first (yellow) material. Now all we need to do is pick some mesh faces and associate them with the new (red) material. This is easy…

Select a face(s) you want to give the second (red) colour. I don’t care how you select faces. I go into EDIT mode and then hit the Editing panel (the square with bead corners). I press A (select all toggle) until nothing is selected, then I use Shift & mouse (or even B key and mouse for block select when in wireframe) to select the corners of my face. Do whatever works for you. Make sure you have one face selected and that you are in EDIT mode and that you are looking at the Editing panel.

The left panel should show “Link and materials”. There is a place to toggle between “Material” & “Material.001” (it has the corresponding bright colour next to it). Make sure that “Material.001” is chosen (red) and then hit the ASSIGN button.

…and voila! When you hit the ASSIGN button, whatever face you selected gets that material - the red one.

…you now have two different colours on one mesh.

Hope that helps clarify things for you. It was in the first of the links I gave but the “two materials versus two colours” part is a bit easy to overlook.

Good luck.

Thank you very, very much, that did wonders for clarification. Now, I should get things working greatly… much thanks again for your time and help. May your blends turn out fantastic. :slight_smile: