Colors in material view not the same as rendered

I am working on a project where i am filling a glass bottle with liquid but I cannot the material view and the render to look the same. In the material view it looks good with clear bottle on a stainless counter. In render view all of it appears yellow to brown.

The upper image is in the materials view port and the lower image the rendered image. Is this a world problem or something else?

1 Like

Hello and welcome to BlenderArtists!

The reason your rendered image looks weird is because it is not using the material preview HDRI in your render (the default HDRI is embedded).

You can get the default HDRI to appear in the 3D viewport by disabling Scene Lights and Scene World in your 3D viewport settings:

However, if you wish to use the “exact” same HDRI image in your actual render, you will need manually setup the HDRI in your scene’s world nodes by using a Environment node:

A more detailed summary:

https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/158432

1 Like

I can’t be certain, but the materials view looks that way because of the default environment setup and from what I can see, you have a orange tinted light in the rendered image (judging by the table light). Glass is also very dependent on the environment (which it reflects). So without having more details, but also looking at the rest of the scene, I’d say it’s the orange light plus the lack of some sort of environment the glass would reflect makes the bottle look like a flat orange surface. What you make as a white or ‘‘colorless’’ glass looks that way in the materials view because it is reflecting a detailed and properly lit forest (with the light itself being white). Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Or instead of what I wrote, you have a step by step fix here :slight_smile: Appeared while I was writing my post.

All super helpful advise! Thanks so much. I found I was using a background image from a tutorial that had a lot of color in it so I switched it out for something more neutral and it looks much better in render now. I also put my bottle in a cube with better lighting and it has cleaned it up a lot.

The detailed summary is great information and I’ll apply that as well.

Cheers Folks!