Colt 38 - real time game asset

A project to shake off the rust. I’ve been working in collectibles/Miniature sculpting for quite a while now, so haven’t done any game assets in ages. I was getting a bit out of practice with texturing so I thought I’d do an old, damaged weapon to shake off the cobwebs. No time for a rifle so the next best thing is of course the trusty revolver. :smile: Modeled/unwrapped in Blender - Toolbag bake - Substance Painter - Stager renders.
Went a bit sharper on bevels for the portfolio.

20 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

Love the modeling and texturing. Great job, and welcome back in the Blendersphere! :smiley:

4 Likes

Haha! Thanks mate. I thought it only right to post here. It’s the first exclusively Blender model I’ve done in over 2 years. :smile:

3 Likes

This may be naive, but that diamond pattern on the grip is a bumpmap?

Yes, the pattern is normal/height done in Substance Painter.

1 Like

Oh, OK, that’s what I thought it has a normal map. Both I guess.

Yes, it’s just added as a tiling map and then a mask painted around the area I want it. :+1:

1 Like

Seems you did well… smoking hot ! :wink: Really like it!!

2 Likes

Thanks mate, in between us trying to fix my broken Blender! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So everything runs fine together now?

Everything seems to be working fine now. :+1: Polyquilt hasn’t crashed at least!

2 Likes

I Like It! Nice Renders!

2 Likes

Gorgeous work, fuck i haven’t got enough time myself to get back at realistic gun modelling :sweat_smile::sweat::sleepy::sleepy:

Btw did you have any particular problem when modeling to match your reference? Like trying to match the perspective using a base reference and aligning the blockout, how do you accomplish this technique these days without eyeballing things most of time? For example this one of my models i
ended up abandoning because i ended up missing some shapes in the design and which also complicated the topology because i would had to remade that as well in some parts that i should have redone/correct according the design (even though it looks almost identical to the reference but it still failed is some areas, and also made this when learning advance d subdiv modelling 3 years ago so the topology was somewhat good, and other parts where some kind of disaster :sweat::joy:) SigSauer P226 X-Six 3D Model

2 Likes

I just pick a good side ref and eyeball the rest, but I try to get as many refs from different angles and closeups as I can. I always start with the barrel because you have the exact diameter from the side ref, and then this gives you a great baseline for the width of the rest of the weapon.
If you get enough refs you can generally get a good idea of proportions and relative scale if you have multiple photos of similar angles. And just try and get photos with minimal perspective distortion.

You should get back to the Sig and finish it. It looks good and is so close to finished.

2 Likes