Combining Faces to Make a Cleaner UV

So I’ve been working on an intro for my YouTube channel as a first major project in Blender, and have been having a bit of trouble with modeling the letters and adding a UV map;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14469864/intro.blend-1.png

I wanted a custom font for the letters, so I added an image of the text I wanted as a background and then shaped a single cube into the letter by extruding it in various places. I got it to all work out, but when I started trying to make a UV map things got a bit complicated. Every way I tried to mark the seams on the model, it always created a UV map that was very hard to draw on, either because the squares were all jumbled up, or were extruded into odd polygons that weren’t quadrilateral. So to get to the point, I was wondering if there was anything I could do about this, either somehow joining all the front faces to form one single face that could be unfolded easily, or to mark the seams in a way that would make the UV map more easy to draw on.

How about cutting it into smaller junks. That always makes for more predictable unwraps. Then stitch the junks together. You mite want o assign the chunks to vertex groups so you can keep every thing strait. Plus makes for easier selection. Hope that helps.

Thats what I was considering, just kind of hoped there was a better way to do it.

First thing you need to do is clean up your model. A clean mesh gives a clean uv unwrap. You’ve gor floating vertices. Applying seams will be the best way to get a human readable unwrap. When you unwrap you may get the best result changing the unwrap method from Angle Based to Conformal.

Attachments