Combining footage of a human and a VFX Scene

I’m trying to insert footage of myself into a scene made in blender, and I’m having trouble with stuff being in front of me and also behind.

For example the human in here would be a masked person from a video clip, and there would be some kind of balcony around. Putting stuff behind and in front is easy with masking, but the problem is the balcony is in front of him(blocking view of his legs) but also behind him(he’s blocking the back of it). How would I achieve this effect, as I haven’t found any explanations on how to do this.

I guess I don’t exactly understand your shot as you’ve described it. You have a person you have filmed that has given a performance on a balcony, and you now want to add them to your scene on the balcony while occluding what is behind them and being occluded by what is in front of them?

So, it matters whether the performance is already filmed or not. It matters if you plan on having a static shot or a shot where the camera moves at all.

For example, if you already have your footage and the camera is locked off (static, not moving), I’d use camera matching (fSpy or BLAM add-ons) to set up Blender so you can more easily align your geometry to your footage. Then, I’d model the scene you want based on the performance (if you put your hands on the rail of the balcony in your footage, you’ll need to model that balcony). At that point, it should just be a matter of background removal for your footage so that all that’s left is the talent and compositing your footage into your CG scene.

1 Like