Comic Forest Concept

This is a forest proof test I’ve developed for a Comic I’ve been working on.

I’ve used the same drawing and made different look & feel templates using only dynamic lighting and sound afterwards.

I drew it in Blender using the Greasepencil.

Video

Look & Feel

Process
Guides

Lines

Color

Shade

Mist

13 Likes

Did you use grease pencil for the color and shade as well? How did you get the color to fit so nicely in the lines?

1 Like

That’s some really cool work. I like the explorations.

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

Yes I used Grease Pencil for the color and shading, I’ll give a breakdown below.

What I do to get the color to fit better is that I have a two pass line art process,
One is just for overall shapes, and the second for all the details.
Both these are on their own layers.

Then I hide the details layer and fill in the basic shapes with the fill bucket, and clean them up where needed with the Sculpt Tool (Grab or Push brush).

When it comes to the Shade I make a new layer higher than the Color layer and set it to Multiply, Opacity around 0.5 depending of the feel you going for and use a dark color, I used Black.
Then I assign a Layer Mask using the Color layer as the mask.

To add the Shade I’ve made a new brush, a pretty simple one.
I made a duplicate of the Pen brush, renamed it to Shapes,
with it selected changed it from stoke to Solid Fill and Pinned it.

Then you can just draw in your shade with shapes on the Shade layer and it should clip to the color mask.

And if you find that you need to mask out parts of your Shade layer,
The best way I found to go about that is to make a layer higher than you Shade layer,
and set its opacity to 0.
Then with your Shade layer selected add another mask higher than the Color mask,
and invert the mask. Then when you draw on the newly made transparent layer it will mask out parts of the Shade layer, this can even be used to get a more Comic Book cross-hatching ink look.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Oh thank you Kologe, I appreciate that :smile: :+1:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Impressive, nice work. Like the style.

1 Like

Oh great thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Shot thanks man, I appreciate it :+1: :grin: