Common Flip Fluid Errors

I’ve come across the following common issues with flip fluids, any help for preventing or debugging the same would be very helpful. I’ve found the solution to some of them so listing them here in case someone else comes across this post.

1. Fluid does not emit: Check resolution. Turn on resolution grid inside debug in domain to make sure that the individual cells are not bigger than the emitter itself.
  2. Fluid does not emit in certain places inside obstacles or domain:
  • Certain places inside the obstacle, fluid flows.
  • But certain places, keeping all the settings same except the location of the inflow object wrt to the obstacle, the fluid does not flow. I don’t understand why.
  1. Fluid that was emitting earlier, no longer emits: no settings were changed.
  2. Fluid emits thinly and from certain faces in the inflow object
  3. The ends of a cylinder when set as obstacle, inverse - I removed the faces from both ends of the cylinder. But the fluid still collected on the ends, whereas I was assuming it would pass through the open ends.
  4. Fluid ignores the obstacle: I’ve learned to tweak the friction, turn on inverse, ensure that there is enough geometry for the fluid to interact. But I’m still not 100% sure of why this happens.