Community Game Project?

If I am only gonna be gone for 9 weeks and you say it will take around 2 years why cant you use my work?

@pryjon: well i think that the best is to ask someone who already had contact with ton to ask him what he think of a community project to raise some funds for the GE (community CD containing a FPS shell, scripts, textures, tut, making off…) is a good idea and what is planned for the engine future (just maintain it, add features, more coders).

@sutabi: ok, i don’t see why we couldn’t use your work because in 2 monts if the gamebible and concepts arts are done then it would be really AWSOMNE :smiley: , so no problem for me.

I like your ambition scherten. If he beleives we will be ready in 2 months for concept art then so be it. I didnt mean to portray that we could never use your work sutabi. I was only trying to make a point. If we can have it done then we can certainly use your work. Good people here. Excellent artists and talented programmers. Never would I wish to leave anyone out. When there is something to give to you (even as soon as we discover time and place) models and art will be ready to go. I’m all for using your work. :smiley: :smiley:

Well, Sutabi definitely can’t be left out. I do see this project as a long haul. It’ll take quite awhile to make a game that’s of good quality.

About writing an official letter from the all of us that’s decided to be in the project, I think we could and we don’t have to just yet. Definitely if you ask Ton himself he wouldn’t mind having more money donated toward the development of Blender. JM’s original idea of actually giving money to Kester and other’s of paying for extra coders to do work on the game engine would definitely need a talk with Ton.

What exactly is the goal of this community project? Isn’t it to further promote what the Blender Game Engine can do. Bring the community a little bit closer together. A great learning experience in a fun environment. And also if the game can be sold, have all the money given to the Blender Foundation.

For the letter, I think we could hold off on writing it until we get at least halfway into finishing the project. That way it’ll be serious and won’t look like a total disaster if the project fizzles (hoping upon hope that won’t happen). We shouldn’t really say anything official to Ton unless we’re absolutely, positively sure we’ll be able to pull it off. I don’t know about you guys, but I’d hate to eat my words. Well, it wouldn’t really hurt to mention it unofficially to Ton though. %| Lol, conflicting sentences.

[EDIT]
If possible, the letter should also state specifically that we’d like the money raised to be set up for the continued development of the Blender game engine. There are still paid staff for Blender I believe, but I’m not sure if they’re coding Blender. If they still are and if Kester ever decides to stop coding the game engine ( :stuck_out_tongue: I know he wouldn’t do that to us), if there are paid coders for the other part of Blender, Ton could easily hire another guy to continue work on the game engine. If not, I don’t see any harm in still donating the money to Blender.

Jason Lin

Perhaps we should wait. I think I agree. If Ton or anyone for some crazy reason says “NO, I wont accept payment” then its still our project to do whatever we wish. Although I do believe that setting up risks like eating our own words is very good motivation to finish. IF we are anticipated it will create the perfect atmosphere for us to work in. People want this, they are waiting for this, we MUST complete it. I like that pressure.

ok, i agree to wait until the project being in good health for writing to ton, so let’s this topic “turn” a week more and schedule the actual brainstorming to start this week-end/next week?
(time to start thinking of a concept :smiley: )

I have the management system almost ready. It will include project, assignment, news, messages, storage, bible, and forum sections. Easy to create, and quick. I figure we will need someone to manage the forum posts here AND at gameblender.org. The information will be accsessible by all, but to post or edit you must be logged in (like elysiun).

Our brainstorming session should be contained in IRC or MSN. We will think quicker and complete idieas faster this way. As this message will wait for a week please post if you are interested in working on this project and, if any, what venue for communication you use.

i’m ok for msn preferably, but irc is ok too

The only thing I like about IRC is that we can have that chat room and just have people join. But I do prefer MSN and its what I use.

Well, I only can brainstorm right now. But I have alot of ideas for python scripts, I just need someone to listen and make it ?

Does anyone here remember that python scroll script ? It gave me an idea on new features that can contribute to blender games.

Here is a list of my ideas

1. Alpha scrolling (This can give a good illusion to objects that are tube and circle shape. Say like you want a really smooth tree trunk, spikes, sphere, tree tops, etc, etc. How this will work is that the alpha will scroll either always or by the movement of the camera. So you will have a plane that is set to billboard. When the alpha map moves across the uv textures, it gives the illusion that it is turning. It might even be able to create artificial bumps.)

2. Alpha scrolling with separate texture scrolling (This would be useful for waterfalls, lave, rivers, tornados, etc, etc.)

3. Texture spinning with separate alpha spinning

4. Image scaling.

If any of this stuff can already be done, please let me know how.

hello!

My brainstorming here too.
because irc or msn is not right for me. My english not so good and I not
answer interactivelly :-?
and the advantage brainstorming here is everyone see what thinking about concept, proglems and everything and so it is arhived :wink:

I thinking about game concept and story:

-i make some sketch and drawing i will post here…soon

the project name is:

The Dragon fighter (fps)

Why not pick up a old project that people didn’t finish and finsh those first :slight_smile: Would be great to see some old projects back to life. :smiley:

because that people dont posted here… and don’t agree and permissions
that we use your concept and ideas…

I think that we need to start anew.

Some friends and I are trying to work on a snowboarding game (I’ts our first)

I don’t know if that would make a good game or not.

~equip14

Yup, I think it’s best to start anew. It’ll have less complications that way and we’ll actually know what we did because we did it.

Anyways, all the big projects are still in production, some of them just quite slow. Ok, so we’ll start a brainstorming thread this weekend?

Hmm, there’s 11 people that clicked they’ll join, but I’m still unsure whose in. So who are the other 4 people? These were the 4 people with definite I’m in.

goldentaiji
Sutabi
pryjon
scherten
snailrose
tester
DYeater

List will be in first thread of post also.

Jason Lin

This idea sounds really good so although I do not have alot of time you can count me in and I will contribute all i am able to. :smiley:

hmm, hot possible upload my picture files in this site?
[/img][/list]

Hey guys.

Ok, I’m a nube to blender yet I would like to be involved.
I am a third year Architecture student at Texas Tech, and I excel at
design.

concept art
problem solving
audio editing
anything Architectural

:slight_smile: