Compare BGE UPBGE and unity?

Anyone have thoughts about which is better Unity or BGE? Advantages or disadvantages?

Are there any comprehensive resources or tutorial series/recorded lessons for getting started in BGE?
I have trouble getting more than one game mechanic to work at a time so far, but in Unity I haven’t put together anything with creative content and functionality yet. Only still models and prototypes from Unity/Learn.

Where as on UPBGE I was able to get input control to activate my key frame animation and also activate animation from collision.

It would be nice to create inside the familiar platform obviously. Any thoughts from anyone familiar with both programs?

I am loosely planning on organizing my game in blender/upbge 3x and transferring the scenes and storyboard over to Unity once the animations are in order.

Does anyone have any advice or argument?

This may vary largely on what style and complexity you are after… so…
You may have to elaborate this to get a more suited answer.

Upbge forces you to learn to optimize yourself,

This is good for you long term, but unity has better skinning and ports to more platforms at the moment.

I would say they are both good for different use cases.

lots of squishy actors → unity

lots of robots → upbge

it’s possible to make a nice game in Range engine (successor of the BGE 2.79) if you know all the tricks to make it handsome. BGE had a “bad reputation” (for those who never tried) because it allowed anyone who had some basic knowledge in Blender to give a try to the BGE … and there we saw gems like this popping on Youtube

Unity is more like those big stuff you cannot control but it controls you by taking your hand and put you on rails to make some generic stuff (“starting kit”) . If there’s something not running as it should be, well probably there’s not option beside installing some “patches”, “stuff”, “bug fixes” , “assets” and horrible stuff like that. But if you do normal, it would easy.
With Range, what you see is what you get. Press “P” and 2 secs later you can check everything.

To make it the most simple :
have fun making : Range engine
want to “try to” make a wannabe AAA game : Unity

You will never make an AAA game with Range Engine, but you will certainly have no fun trying to make an AAA game with Unity since it will requires looot of work …

But yeah, if you want to make the best game : Unity for sure

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll check range engine and keep thinking.

this comparison is not entirely clear… Many successful games have been made on Unity. I have not seen such games on bge. it is clear that it is very convenient to do everything in one place. for example, I made an environment and characters, immediately animated them and prescribed logic and immediately launched it all and it works. but it’s a great tool for your personal demos. I still don’t understand what’s going on with the blender license. can I sell games made on upbge or is this a problem?

There are some amazing games,

Dead cyborg, tomato jones,
Arctic alive, and much more.

Dead cyborg is my favorite.

Futures end was made in upbge and ported to the upbge fork range.

2 Likes

yeah, ‘blender player.exe’ is GPL
(just like blender) - any .blend it opens is not forced GPL just like your work is not forced GPL by blender, however you have to have blender player open a file ‘next’ to it - not bound to it to prevent it from being GPL. typically people use a ‘open game actuator’ in the main.blend they publish that just opens the game file like a cartridge almost.

any py script that imports a GPL lib is GPL’D - this does not prevent you from using shared memory space / importing your own non GPL libs.

i’m here with bge developers since 2015, as far i can understand from all those years of experience looking on these guys and myself is that: blender game engine will force you to reinvent the wheel many times in one feature, even more in one project, so with it only to start the real thing, its something like going to use daily a Linux computer, it does probally all you need but at some cost of workaround and philosopy, so we past our lifes developing those features and “solutions” to every single problem at the point we never managed to glue all back from the original idea and finish your game… i’m saying that mostly by myself but still search around here an you will see every single bge programmer is passionately developiung his things from mostly northing and then after finishing it having trouble to see how it looks back on the big figure of the game. one of the factories for me is the way we read and separe game data, since a .blend default format is done to be itself sufficient to a entire project of render, short film, it does not fit a game, and needs like a object browser/level editor turn from something trivial to more work on it, i say that because even sintel the game look like a mess, and no one ever published any new level for yo frankie as far i know, because going on one of those projects only can make you confuse. in resume i feel like we have all ever it takes to make nice games, but blender game engine(of course upbge too) way of structuring a game in summon of many “reinvented wheels” makes a complete game one real challenge to anyone. and even from it i an so sure that if our dearly BA devs come for any other engine they will finish their things like some of older ones of us did already, but there is another thing on this… blender game engine possibilities itself is far away better than godot and most of real free 3d engines, and even possible to be even better than unity, because its physics engine inplementation, speed in low end machines, and the fact it is a complete 3d development enviroment who allow us even to create a 3d mesh from scrath at runtime, even if no one really made anything big with it right now… probally if you make a really robust and smart way to organize your projects you will go further than any other game did until today on this engine, but again it is the real challenge of bge…

2 Likes

I have it tamed.

I remade the wheel so much I made the hovercraft :smiley:

1 Like

I think maybe UPBGE that’s the one I made any progress in so far. The capability of live constraints system is really interesting in terms of animation potential alone in creating the key frames. But on the other hand you want people to be able to play the game on a variety of systems. So there are kind of two open hands. And if I build all the animations and set off the scenes how I want I can maybe port out to another system. I’ve had my nose to the ground on rigging/animating and mesh building realistic characters for a few years now and it’s starting to come together.
Ill try to turn out some concept art and get back to you guys this coming spring.

upbge 4.1x will have the vulkan and metal backends when it finishes.

1 Like

So many awesome features are involved I can at least use UPBGE to get a feel for my game with 3d models. I got a collision to set off a rescue calf in a dairy shed animation to be activated. Ultimately the bridge between rendering your cutscene and bringing all those elements to appear in 3d space is a unique challenge and required inspiration.

If I want my character to jump into a second story to rescue a chicken a goat or a cow I definite got you to thank BluePrintRandom.

I have so many game ideas it’s also a good plan to stay in a creative state of mind.

Blender has helped so much in learning perspective for drawing characters! I’m really greatful.

To be honest after the renders are complete I may want to lay them out in 2d and work some magic. Short of falling asleep, head in a book of old paintings how do I explain how exciting it will be to bring the suspense and critical thinking skills of modern games into the world of animal rescue.