Complete Atlas of Anatomy

For years I’ve been working on cleaning up and improving the ‘BodyParts3D’ model to create a clean, textured, complete and accurate 3D model of human anatomy. At this point I’m nearing completion: almost 2000 separate parts have clean topology, are colored (and a lot of them have hand-painted textures, like the 250+ muscles) and are correctly annotated and categorized. I’m an MD and I have worked as an anatomist for years so I was able to fix all the topographical errors that the original model contained myself and add a lot of the structures that were missing in their correct positions.

So… Now I have a complete model of human anatomy and I don’t know what to do with it :slight_smile: The plan was to ‘donate’ the body back to the community through some kind of open source platform. I would like for it to have some sort of user interface around it which would make it interactive, so you can see the annotations, hide/show objects, rotate etcetera. But I don’t have the skills do create such a thing and I don’t know people who can.

In other words: I need help and inspiration! What would you do with a model like this? How would you like it to be used? And who would you call to make that work?

Or does the model suck and does it need to be burried on my hard-drive never to be seen again? That would also be an answer I can work with…

If people would like to see more details, I’d be happy to share more pictures. Any help in any direction anyone could give me, would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Friso

3 Likes

I wouldn’t do anything with a model like that because I don’t have the skills or patience to make it in the first place, so congratulations on that part anyway.

I know when I went through school, students had difficulty finding accurate modeling references. Have you considered contacting art schools/students and seeing if they want the files?

If you’re seriously considering just burying it, maybe release the blend files somewhere for people to download. It won’t have the interactive interface you want, and I have no idea how to go about creating one, or who might know, but it seems better than just not doing anything with it after all the work put in.

2 Likes

Hello Friso
Congratulations on fine work. I would like to offer you the opportunity to make it walk through. I run virtual land in a nonprofit server place called Osgrid. I import meshes on a regular basis. I usually charge people, but I would offer you the land space for free because well, I think it is a beautiful thing that you want to share it with people.We would make an exhibit of it on opensim. Feel free to write me back directly at my email [email protected]