Compositor Freezes!

I have a scene set up that uses multiple layers and a lot of nodes. When I render the scene it renders out the layers but when it gets to the compositing it only gets part of the way through before freezing. When it freezes the only way to get it working again is by closing and reopening blender. The strange thing is that it only freezes after a certain frame. Frames 1-165 render and composite normally. Rendering any frame after that freezes blender. I have checked my node setup and there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong. It was working for a while and just started freezing recently. I know that the problem is only in that .blend file and I have never had this happen before. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks.

Check your memory usage at that frame…you may be running out but that usually causes a crash. Enabling the “Save Buffers” check box (scene properties, performance tab) may help with memory issues (this is why it was originally put there).

I tried that but unfortunately it didn’t work. However, I did find out that although the render freezes I can still open a new blender file (after a bit of waiting) without closing Blender.

Are you rendering a frame sequence or to a movie file? The movie file could be clogging up memory. I had problems crashing while using compositor recently but that was with the Tomato branch and it’s buggy movie clip media.