Concept Art - Ruins Scouting (Blender 2.8)

Hello everyone, here is a concept art piece I’ve been working on for a while. Modeled, textured and rendered in Cycles (Blender 2.8), destruction sculpted in 3DCoat, post-production in Photoshop.

Take a look at the 3D assets I made for this: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9eRb3Q

Thumbnail

Edit 1: I was recently interviewed by the folks at 80lv about the process for this image. Check it out! https://80.lv/articles/mixing-2d-and-3d-in-concept-art-007gai/

Edit 2: Process video: https://youtu.be/bMbYrsoxnXo

_

You can also find me at:
• ArtStation: www.artstation.com/delaneveart
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/delaneveart
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/delaneveart
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/delaneveart

74 Likes

why was this never featured, seriously…
it even have its lvl 80 article

you did a wonderful work !

Thanks for the love!

2 Likes

You’re #featured! :+1:

2 Likes

Excellent work!

Did you get the painting look inside of Blender, or was that through post-processing?

1 Like

Hi Dela!
You made nice piece of art - same as ‘‘Guard’’
I already read article on 80.lv - It is really nice breakdown…
Right now I really looking forward to see more of your exceptional use of Blender and 3d Coat!

:clap:

Thanks Bart!

I painted on top a lot. I linked to a video of the process if you are interested.

Thank you so much! Hopefully I’m able to share some more soon!

1 Like

3DCoat is amazing for sculpting destruction, haha! Specially with that Hide tool.
Beautiful work, Dela Neve. Really inspiring.

1 Like

Sweet lord, what a great piece!

1 Like

Nice. I took a look at the video. Maybe I should try something like that myself.

1 Like

Thank you! 3D Coat is just another tool, but a very good one for sure!

Thank you Manuel!

No reason not to if you feel like it!

Beautiful stuff, will be sure to follow you on the platforms to see your next works. Great job!

1 Like

Thank you so much Aleksandr!

This is one of the most thoughtful process walk-through’s I’ve seen! I love how you even planned the different render passes with broken and unbroken assets. I was wondering how much time a project like this could take approximately?

1 Like

Thank you so much, hope you found it useful! I’m not sure how long it took unfortunately, I worked on it on and off after work and sometimes I left it alone for days. Definitely wasn’t rushing :joy:

1 Like

this is awesome !!!

1 Like

Cool! I had another question because I’m actually trying to experiment with this approach now. :slight_smile: However, I’m using the Sculpt branch to do the destruction, not 3D Coat. Anyway, my question is about the break-up of modular parts. I actually have some professional experience with modular level design, but I don’t have an architectural background. So my question is, would you be able to share some thoughts on how you decide the way you separate buildings into modular parts? Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you

That’s a good question. If you have experience with modular level designing, this shouldn’t be too different from that. For concepts specifically I don’t think there is “one correct way”. In my case, I would say is just a matter of planning out before getting too much into it. First I do a block-in scene, very basic, in which I can see how many elements I might need and what parts could be the same model. I also work my models on a different file or different scene and then build the scene instancing collections, this might help by constraining you to those models. Once you are happy with what you’ve got, you come back with other models and elements that help you bring it all together.

1 Like