Concept of a flat interior in Barcelona

The project goal was to get proficient in Blender for this kind of work after many years using other DCC software packages.
My main focus was to establish a workflow in Blender. Mainly: How to work with cameras, render in Cycles, layout scenes, manage scenes, viewlayers, collections, assets, and rendering in CLI. I also learned a lot about shading in Blender and got comfortable modelling from architectural plans.

I used a bit of Blender’s Compositor but finished the post-processing in Affinity Photo.

Overall it was a good experience and I learned a lot. Coming from years of experience using other DCC software it was interesting, challenging and fun to do this project in Blender.

Most models are from iMeshh with slight tweaks here and there as needed

16 Likes

Wow, nice and cozy renderings. What have you used for lighting ? Only a HDRi or some additional lights ? And what intensity has the grey override material in the last pictures, the usual 0.5 ?

Hi,
Thanks for the kind comment! :slight_smile:

I didn’t use any HDRI. I placed Area Lights roughly the size of each window with a Blackbody and Emission nodes connected to them.

For the sun, I used two Sun Lights placed in the same place and pointing at the same direction, also with a Blackbody and Emission nodes, but one of them with a wider angle: one set to 1 degree and the other to 4. This gives the sunlight a little soft edge.

For the override material, I used a simple Principled BSDF with a Base Color of 0.0 Saturation and 0.4 for value. No Specular or Metallic, of course. That gives the “clay render look.” Really simple.

For the courtains to look like they do in the “clay” renders, I leaved Shadows disabled and Diffuse enabled in the Ray Visibility settings so the sun light gets through while still being able to see them in the render. Nothing fancy but I think it works.

1 Like

do you add any dust in the air and do you fully denoise the image

Hi,

I didn’t add any dust in the air.

I was actually thinking about it and did a couple of shy attempts but I ran out of time for the schedule I imposed myself. This was after all a test for me to be proficient in Blender for my actual job, so I was a bit more generous with time allocation, but only so much.

I think that for some of the shots air dust could improve the renders substantially, if added subtly. Maybe for the next time. I was unable to master volumetrics in Blender in this project, sadly. Nor did I had time left to try it in post either. It’s a good idea, though.

Your question reminded me to try that out for the next project. Thanks!

I did denoise the renders, yes. In the Blender compositor itself.

Thanks for the answer. That explains that the room is nice bright even in the shadow areas, which doesn’t work with a HDRi alone. I balance area lights with an HDRi to get a similar look, and its much better than editing that in post. So far i haven’t tried Blackbody nodes, i still prefer basic white, but maybe thats another option for the future.

Sure! :slight_smile:

I like HDRIs for exterior lighting, but for interiors I’m not that convinced they are worth it.

With blackbody for area lights I can control what should be the sky colour temperature, and the same for the sun.

It can also help to simulate partially occluded sky light entering through, let’s say, an interior building opening, or reflected from other building/glass windows nearby. I can place an area light there simulating light attenuation, or tinting, when sky light gets bounced around before entering the room though a window. Many options available if I can choose how much light gets though a window and what colour should it have.

I find it difficult to control interior lighting with HDRIs.

I hope it makes sense.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Oh, thank you!
I didn’t expect that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow this is really beautiful. You are a real pro.

Hey! Thank you @MikeOSullivan! :partying_face:

I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know. One never knows if it’s any good by the time the project is finished after looking at it for long. Having people tell if it works and also what can be improved really helps.

I hear you. I’m going to start putting my stuff up here for that reason.

Yes, it’s a good thing. To know what works for some and what doesn’t do that well. It really helps, specially after a while, going back to it, with fresh eyes and the feedback in mind.

It helps for the next project or to improve the one.

I don’t usually get to show much of what I do, so lately I also try to produce some scenes for fun and practice and to get some feedback outside paying clients and friends and family (which often can’t see my work either, so there).

I encourage you to show your dirty secre… uh, ah… I mean your work to the world, to get feedback. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for yours!

I’d appreciate your advice when I do post my stuff. I want to be good at blender, and I’ve found I like creating environments, and learning to use the camera and lighting. I’m just not as good as I’d like to be yet.

Sure!

Let me know when that happens and I’ll gladly give some feedback, of course.

It’s mostly about practice, I hear often. And it’s true. But feedback helps to guide that practice where it’ll be productive. Don’t be shy.

Hey Sorn,
Here’s something I did. I stayed in this house in the mountains in New Mexico for a snowy winter, learning Blender. I decided to model the place, (making a lot of changes by the way!) and this is what I ended up with. I like the cartoony way it looks, but I was going for realism. What did I do wrong? I’d really appreciate any and all criticism. Cheers!
Uploading: 0001-0545.mkv…