Congrats Blender! and thank you from "Plunder Pirates" :)

Dear Blender,
Congratulations! You just got a Cycles render featured on the App Store :slight_smile:

We use Blender for all our renders, and it has been incredibly helpful during the development of Plunder Pirates. And with the new FBX support is only going to get better!

A massive thank you from the team at Midoki. You’ve been a huge help!

congratulations to your success , I wish unlimited profit and recognition :slight_smile:

All hail Blender !!!

It’s great to hear about this, thanks for posting!

It would be great to see a small feature of how cycles fits into your workflow someday:)

Nice work!
Did you use Blender for the presentation movie only, or also for in-game content (like cut-scenes, backgrounds, etc)?

Any plans for an Android release? :slight_smile:

Congratulations and thanks for posting this :slight_smile:

Thanks guys!

When we started Midoki we used Maya exclusively (we used to work from Sony, and Maya was the standard art tool) but at some point we needed a better 3D paint tool (Maya’s is absolutely useless) and stumbled across Blender.

Since then we’ve been integrating more and more in our pipeline, but mainly as a rendering tool. The only drawback for production is the Z-up orientation. It seems like a trivial thing, but it means our coders would have to change the model converter, and we are such a small studio that there’s always something more urgent to do.

Despite this some of the in-game models and characters have been made entirely in Blender (I personally have come to like it more than Maya) but the final export has been done from Maya (our model converter reads Y-up FBX files). It’s a shame because we get better results in Blender when doing some steps like baking textures, but not being Y-up is a real problem. Specially with animations.

If it wasn’t for that we would probably have moved completely to Blender by now!

Nice work, congrats on the release!

As far as i’m aware most exporters in blender allow you to set up the Axis in the export dialog, at least fbx does for sure.

Yeah, but the export settings are not usually placed where one would naturally expect them. So it’s not surprising how easy it is to miss them entirely. one would have to scroll down or fold up other panels to access them from a tiny corner of the screen.
They deserve at least a pop up dialog, or a significant noticeable portion of the screen. Not to mention the sort of weird orientations you get despite setting the axes right

double post

Have you tested it?
I have. It’s not quite right.

I dont have any other Software handy which reads fbx files other than blender, but blender itself seems to write/read them fine (export with applied transformation checkbox ticked), seems to also write orientation into the file itself, so when importing manual axis settings have to be enabled. No idea how other Software (especially the custom Format Converter they seem to use) handle this though. So if it doesn’t work as expected it should probably be investigated and reported in the bugtracker, for the good of everyone using the fbx format :slight_smile:

So… let me guess. you exported a cube. and imported it.

try a mesh skinned to an armature.

then try an animation.