ConjureSDF - smooth, non destructive booleans

Indeed I have heard of surface nets before, as well as dual contouring (which I personally consider the “best” complexity/quality tradeoff) But for the time being marching cubes is pretty good, not to mention fast with room for optimization. Especially after using a remesh+smooth modifier it’s decent.

But I’d love to experiment with other meshing algorithms in the future.

3 Likes

Ductaped the Conjure scene description into my meshing prototype to try out a real asset :eyes:
And then did some manual retopology ontop to check the workflow.

Being able to separate the design phase from the modelling/topology phase is delightful :raised_hands:

(Jetbike by Para https://twitter.com/parawerke )

7 Likes

I’d definitively prefer some relaxed manual retopo over boolean cleanup and topology limitations during modeling!

2 Likes

Almost done integrating the meshing system into Conjure. (no more slow .obj file conversion to get it into Blender) Still a lot of things to fix/add but getting there.

(Jetbike by Para https://twitter.com/parawerke )

10 Likes

Spent a lot of time optimizing the conversion to mesh. Now it’s pretty fast so I can finalize the rest of the integration with Conjure :sunglasses:

This is nearly 6 million triangles meshed on the GPU. Takes about 10 minutes (including time spent doing some manual work, which will be automated later)

18 Likes

Only discovered this today, thanks to a video by Chris Holt. Looks incredible! Will it work on macOS and with Metal on the GPU? Or is it all platform-agnostic?

1 Like

another MacOS user here interested to know!

@Weezer @jam_eater

1 Like

I’d be really surprised if those numbers are still valid, given the way the market has evolved. However, I guess we’ll have to wait for a Vulkan version then :frowning:

Maybe the Blender Foundation could give you a hand with some data and/or the Vulkan stuff? This feels like a major update to Blender which should be part of the app itself!

3 Likes

I wish someone would start creating a Metal-based SDF modeling tool for macOS, similar to MagicaCSG. There’s Unbound (currently in closed beta), but that’s an SDF-based game engine in which modeling is only part of the package.

Indeed as Lamia quoted, MacOS is currently not supported.
Metal is a lower level API (and so is Vulkan) Which would just complicate development a lot at this stage. Add to this that I don’t have a MacOS device and the userbase is much smaller. It’s just not worth spending time on right now. But I’d love to look into simpler ways to support MacOS in the future (6-12 months from now)

There is more recent user data, as Francis showed.

And unsurprisingly, not much has changed. Mac still represents a small (but not insignificant of course) part of the Blender users. Which is why I do want to support Mac eventually, just not right now.

2 Likes

What about Linux is it easier to build/compile to that os?

3 Likes

When and how will this be available? Seen videos, this is so awesome.

1 Like

Aiming for early 2024. Just needs a few more months :ok_hand:

It’s all python/glsl at the moment so no build/compile needed. Just a standard blender addon like any other.
By my knowledge, only MacOS has dropped support for OpenGL, so I think Linux should be fine? Just needs to support OpenGL 4.3 at least. (4.3 is needed for the conversion to mesh)

Looks like bgl is still alive in 4.0, so hopefully ConjureSDF will work there! https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/pulls/112579

2 Likes

Great to hear :raised_hands:
I’ll have to test more blender versions as we get closer to public release in 2024 :ok_hand:

3 Likes

@Weezer @jam_eater I almost forgot that there is an SDF editor available for Mac: Clavicula…

The UI / UX is a bit idiosyncratic, but I think it has a lot of potential.

2 Likes

A meta cutter :).
Have you / do you plan to release an early version?
Would really like to try out.

1 Like

Public paid Alpha is planned for early 2024 :pray:

2 Likes